BMW Coding

Soldato
After realising my cornering lights had been "turned off" at the last visit to my dealer, it got me thinking about the coding side of BMWs. I've got all the software, just waiting for the cable to arrive and I'll give it a whirl.

Has anyone here used the INPA, SSS, or EDIABAS stuff?

Man of Honour
Yup.

I was under the impression that the MOST LCI E60's were a pain though - certainly when I tried to do one I had no luck. I didn't persevere for very long and it might be possible now but it's an issue to be aware of.

INPA is not for coding but is absolutely fantastic as a diag tool (proper diagnosis - ie looking at various values to work out whats wrong, rather than just pulling codes).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks for the info.

I've ordered a INPA EDIABAS USB K+ D Can module which comes with most of the bmw software (most of which I've got now anyway). Apparently the newer models are a lot quicker to make alterations to.

Also, that's the most helpful link I've found to date, thanks. It's been a pain trying to find stuff that's actually valid anymore, i.e., the later E60s don't need to use OBDII or SSS from what I can gather

Soldato
www.bmtechnic.co.uk sell good cable/software kits, and have their own one-click installation of DIS GT1 if you're interested in using that (it's generally a pain to set up).

What's the difference between the white cable and black cable? And with the DIS can you read/clear faults like you could with a Bavarian Technic cable? I'm looking for a cost effective way to read fault codes.

Man of Honour
DIS is ultra powerful - you can definately clear faults with it. It's also ultra-difficult to get going and needs to run in a Unix Virtual machine. INPA can do similar things and is easier to get running it would seem.

Soldato
As said http://www.bmwcoding.com/ is very good. Before you try coding make sure you back up the module your going to code in case something unforeseen happens. You also need a fairly heavy duty battery charger to keep power constant while coding. Battery alone or engine running will not do.

Soldato
www.bmtechnic.co.uk sell good cable/software kits, and have their own one-click installation of DIS GT1 if you're interested in using that (it's generally a pain to set up).

I found www.bmwcoding.com to be a useful font of knowledge on the subject.

I received mine last week and have used it to code folding mirrors and instant MPG on the E92 M3.

Not sure you can do that with just coding, but you can with an Intravee though.

As said http://www.bmwcoding.com/ is very good. Before you try coding make sure you back up the module your going to code in case something unforeseen happens. You also need a fairly heavy duty battery charger to keep power constant while coding. Battery alone or engine running will not do.

EDIT - Oh its creating the TRC file, already done that!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I've ordered the white cable package from BM Technic instead now and will return the other one. I guess I got all excited about coding before really reading everything everywhere. Mines a 2007 so pretty sure it's D-Can. If / when I get an F10, I'm sure all this will have changed and I'll have to get some new bits again :D

Soldato
I've ordered the white cable package from BM Technic instead now and will return the other one. I guess I got all excited about coding before really reading everything everywhere. Mines a 2007 so pretty sure it's D-Can. If / when I get an F10, I'm sure all this will have changed and I'll have to get some new bits again :D

Yeah mine was definitely D-Can. The F10 uses Ebus which all you need if an ethernet connection one end for the pc and the other end a blank obd 2 connector which you wire up with one resistor in there. Loads of instructions on the net to make the cable and I have all the bits just never got around to doing it. The hardest part is getting E SYS with a developer token, which I have but never tried.

What cable would i need for a 2006 (56) E92? I really don't understand what cars had DCAN, K Can, EBus etc etc?! :confused:

I don't know for sure but I would guess D-Can, I'm sure someone on BMWcoding can help though.

Soldato
OP
D-Can appears to be defacto from 2007 onwards (March time) but that might just be for the E60. Having said that, most of the stuff I've seen regarding dates has not been model specific

Soldato
[TW]Fox;23135270 said:
DIS is ultra powerful - you can definately clear faults with it. It's also ultra-difficult to get going and needs to run in a Unix Virtual machine. INPA can do similar things and is easier to get running it would seem.

That's one of the reasons I bought my cable from bmtechnic, it's literally a single-click and then it installs the VM with DIS etc. Wouldn't have even bothered trying DIS otherwise.

When I read up about this, general consensus seemed to be that an external charger wasn't really necessary for coding unless you have a dodgy (old) battery. It only takes a couple of minutes to upload/download a coding. I've done it without any form of charger and had no problems.

Obviously, if you were going to attempt any form of programming (i.e. upgrading software on the control units) then this takes ages a charger would be crucial.

Soldato
OP
I notice that NCSExpert differs vastly from SSS (say), in that with SSS you see what's on and what's off and just click active or inactive. With NCS you have to download / upload / edit. Is that right?

Back
Top Bottom