BMW Coding

Soldato
I notice that NCSExpert differs vastly from SSS (say), in that with SSS you see what's on and what's off and just click active or inactive. With NCS you have to download / upload / edit. Is that right?

Yes, you download the settings in text format, edit them and then re-upload.

And of course the settings are all in German just to make it more interesting ;)

I found this guide very useful in getting started with coding using NCS: http://ge.tt/61BLK9b/Guide to BMW Coding (2011.04.23).pdf

Last edited:
Soldato
Nicht!! So my cornering lights for instance. Where the hell would I start with that?

Going by this thread - http://forums.5series.net/diy-do-yourself-14/ncsexpert-code-mods-108089/

It looks like you might have to change the VA_CORNERINGLIGHT option in the CAPPL module from nicht_aktiv to aktiv. This would presumably give you an i-Drive menu option to enable the cornering lights.

The PDF I linked in my previous post leads you through the steps of coding a setting like this.

Associate
I also use the software package from BMtechnic.. 1 click install of INPA, DIS, SSS, NCS Expert etc ..I highly recommend it if you intend keeping your car a few years.

NCS Expert for coding things like folding mirrors when you hold the lock button for a few seconds on the fob ;)

INPA is a good tool for diagnostics, but if you need to trouble shoot something harder to diagnose I recommend you use DIS.

What cable would i need for a 2006 (56) E92?

This is the exact cable and software you need for your car for diagnostics and coding..
http://bmtechnic.co.uk/bmw-diagnostic-cable-black-edition/

Cheers

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Going by this thread - http://forums.5series.net/diy-do-yourself-14/ncsexpert-code-mods-108089/

It looks like you might have to change the VA_CORNERINGLIGHT option in the CAPPL module from nicht_aktiv to aktiv. This would presumably give you an i-Drive menu option to enable the cornering lights.

The PDF I linked in my previous post leads you through the steps of coding a setting like this.

See that's what's interesting. I know my iDrive menus pretty damn well and I never had an iDrive option to turn on/off the cornering lights. Still, if this provides that option in future I'm happy :)

Soldato
See that's what's interesting. I know my iDrive menus pretty damn well and I never had an iDrive option to turn on/off the cornering lights. Still, if this provides that option in future I'm happy :)

Mine had no option for them either they we always hard coded on and a function of the headlight.

Soldato
OP
Just spend the last 20 minutes down with the car. Cornering lights was listed as disabled. I marked it active, which, as someone mentioned above, then put a menu item in iDrive. I've never had that menu item before. Still, the cornering lights are working again.

I also did fog lights with welcome lights and seat heating display on idrive when heating button pressed.

I copied most of the modules I'd like to look at so I can go through them later. Proper digital mpg would be nice, seen it mentioned somewhere on the web so I'll look for that too.

What fun :D

Soldato
Just spend the last 20 minutes down with the car. Cornering lights was listed as disabled. I marked it active, which, as someone mentioned above, then put a menu item in iDrive. I've never had that menu item before. Still, the cornering lights are working again.

I also did fog lights with welcome lights and seat heating display on idrive when heating button pressed.

I copied most of the modules I'd like to look at so I can go through them later. Proper digital mpg would be nice, seen it mentioned somewhere on the web so I'll look for that too.

What fun :D

Did mine last week:

There isn't a guide for this one, but the process is exactly the same as folding mirrors except you choose the 'KOMBI' module instead from the list and change the DIGITAL_KVA value in the FSW_PSW.TRC from nicht_aktiv to aktiv

Soldato
OP
Anyone know where the instant mpg in the OBD is? I assume in the Kombi module?

Also, I've been told I can't enable the dipped passenger mirror in reverse as I don't have folding mirrors, yet, someone who actually seems to know what they are talking about says it is possible if you tell the KGM module that you have memory mirrors and then set the dipped mirror to active. Any ideas?

Soldato
Yeah, it's Blood I saw who posted that it didn't matter what mirror options you had, that the passenger dip was possible regardless.

Depending how old the thread is he might have sussed it now but certainly he though he could do it on mine but never got it working. That was in 2010 though.

Man of Honour
Anyone know where the instant mpg in the OBD is? I assume in the Kombi module?

Also, I've been told I can't enable the dipped passenger mirror in reverse as I don't have folding mirrors, yet, someone who actually seems to know what they are talking about says it is possible if you tell the KGM module that you have memory mirrors and then set the dipped mirror to active. Any ideas?

I thought it was memory seats you needed for dipping mirror not folding mirrors?

Back
Top Bottom