Windows 7 does not update.

Associate
Hi, this is my pc:

YOUR BASKET
1 x Intel Core i3-3220 3.30GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W) - Retail £99.95
1 x OCZ ZT 550W '80 Plus Bronze' Modular Power Supply £63.98
1 x OCZ Vertex 2E 120GB 2.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive (OCZSSD2-2VTXE120G) £59.99
1 x **B Grade** Gigabyte H61MA-D3V Intel H61 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard £42
1 x Aerocool Qs-202 Midi Tower Case - Black £39.98
1 x Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (BLS2CP4G3D1609DS1S00CEU) £35.99
Total : £355.99 (includes shipping : £11.75).

I also have a 500gb hdd and an xfx 6870.

After building the computer I installed windows 7 (legit and paid for software!) and unfortunately the windows auto update feature does not work. I am running it on the ssd. Whenever I try and install updates the bar stays still after a while or does not even move to start with. It says it is installing updates for hours... Also whenever I shut the computer down it wants to install updates first that never end either. I have run Memtest and everything seems fine. I believe everything is plugged in correctly and I have tried to get it working with minimal components. I don't see what is wrong. The microsoft fix-it doesn't improve it and doing a clean install didn't seem to help either. Any suggestions? Thanks very much.

Associate
There's an older version of fix it available that has an agressive option. That solved my update problem a few months back on my old PC after trying everything else and failing.
I had to search pretty hard for it and unfortunately can't remember where it was now. Give it a bash on Google and see if you can find it.

Associate
OP
There's an older version of fix it available that has an agressive option. That solved my update problem a few months back on my old PC after trying everything else and failing.
I had to search pretty hard for it and unfortunately can't remember where it was now. Give it a bash on Google and see if you can find it.

Ah that sounds great :) any chance you still have it downloaded? My googling skills arent the greatest so do you have any ideas of possible search parameters?

Don
Are the date/time set correctly on your machine? This can cause weird problems with Windows update if they're out..

Are you using SP1 ?

If it's still playing up and you can't fix it, I'd suggest formatting with a W7 SP1 disc

Associate
OP
Are the date/time set correctly on your machine? This can cause weird problems with Windows update if they're out..

Are you using SP1 ?

If it's still playing up and you can't fix it, I'd suggest formatting with a W7 SP1 disc

1) Yes, the date and time are set correctly
2) Yes, it came on the disk
3) How do I go about doing that, do I literally just insert the disk?

Associate
OP

Are you using SP1 ?

Apologies for the delay, but still no luck. Any suggestions?

Associate
OP
Are you sure the time is set correctly both in the bios and in windows...double check.

I had the same issue a couple of months ago when i updated my bios.

Yeah the date and time seem correct for both of them. The bios says the 11/10/12 but I presume its just in the American format.

Associate
OP
no im stumped, reinstalls usually sort most things like that.
everything else internet related working fine?

The internet seems to be working alright. However, the windows system rating thing always crashes and games that I tried getting to work in a previous install crashed soon after start up. I'm stumped.

Could it be hardware related?

Back
Top Bottom