First time dad...

Associate
Nothing can really prepare you, all children are different and act in different ways.

It really will be the best thing to happen to you in your life, you don't truly understand unconditional love until your child is born, when each of by boys were born is the only time in the 34 years on this planet I have cried due to happiness, completely out of blue tears.

at first baby will want feeding very often, if you are lucky then it will be every 4 hours but I know children who initially wanted feeding every hour, it's hard to judge how much they are getting when breast feeding (assuming this is the way your other half decides to or is able to go), in my experience that subsided pretty quickly and both of my boys were sleeping through the night from about 6 months, just remember you may need to help with the night.

When you get to the stage of putting baby to bed before you two I would suggest you don't try to silence the house below normal levels, I have family members who used to turn the tv right down and be really quite when baby was in bed, only problem was any loud'ish noise would wake her up, as we have always kept the tv volume up, talk at normal volume and don't tip toe around both the boys will sleep through pretty much anything.

No baby is the same, you will both get to know what your baby likes/dislikes and most of all, don't worry, everything tends to fall into place.

Congrats

Associate
3 things to remember when be being a new dad.

1) be calm baby picks up on it and calms down and stops crying.

2) its a lot harder for her than it is for you

3) tell her shes beautiful, even when shes got bags under her eyes and stinks of puke.

Soldato
My wee boy is coming up for 8 months now and I love being a dad. Sure it's hard work but you soon get used to it. Definitely stock up on SMA and nappies. Wait until somewhere like Tesco has an offer on and then buy as much as you can. Just knowing you have made a start on the preparation will make a huge difference. My wee lad has been great from the start and although I've had a few sleepless nights it's been plain sailing for me all the way. Time will pass quickly so take loads of pictures and videos. Don't get suckered in to buying top notch kit for the little un as they soon grow out of the clothes faster than a fast thing in fastville.
Always remember that when they cry, they cry for a reason. Don't go slapping them in the kisser when they start howling just as your getting into that bit on your new PS3 or XBox game that you've been struggling to get to for the past three hours.
And that moment when you look into your wee dudes or dudettes eyes and they give you a big toothless grin first thing in the morning will make you realise that it will all be okay.
Don't panic about things, just relax and have the presence of mind to know that you'll do your very best for them regardless of how you feel now.
Congratulations from me and my girlfriend (who happens to be lying sleeping on the couch after one too many vodka redbulls).

:)

Caporegime
Babies are expensive and they demand that you do not sleep for anything more than 35 minutes in any one stretch. They will poo on things and cry on things and be sick on things. They will drive you mad with exasperation as you try to work out what they're valiantly trying to express and you'll worry constantly that they will choke to death or drown in the baby bath or be run over.

They're also kind of magical so congrats :)

Associate
You can never have enough baby clothes, you'll change them in the morning and 5 minutes later they'll have been sick all over themselves.

Don't bother so much with outfits etc, especially when they're in the house - a vest and sleep suit will be fine, and will likely keep them warmer than jeans etc (and will cost a lot less).

If you do decide to go with jeans or trousers, use tights instead of socks (even for a boy) otherwise you'll be constantly putting them back on.

Asda are brilliant for clothes and especially baby sleeping bags, their own brand and Disney ones are around £10 to £12, you'll be paying anywhere from £20-£30 in most other places.

Soldato
Asda are brilliant for clothes and especially baby sleeping bags, their own brand and Disney ones are around £10 to £12, you'll be paying anywhere from £20-£30 in most other places.

ASDA own-brand nappies are pretty awesome too.

We've found NEXT's baby stuff to be good. Not quite as cheap as ASDA etc, but not much more expensive and they seem to last longer, as in the sizes seem to work out better. Suspect that'll depend on the baby though.

Soldato
Oh, I nearly forgot ...... When your mates ask you what the name of that tune is that you've been whistling for the last twenty minutes and it suddenly dawns on you that it's the Hot Dog Hot Dog Hot Diggity Dog song from Mickey Mouse's Clubhouse then you are well and truly on the road of no return :)

Soldato
Congrats :)

Save, save and save the little blighters suck up money like nothing else :p

As already posted - check your employers policy on Paternity as it could be very different to statutory

For all the lack of slept, poo and sick they are still the best thing that you could ever wish for (most if the time :p) and enjoy him / her / them as much as you can they grow up sooooo quick - mine are 5 and almost 3 and sometimes wonder how the hell they got so big so fast - congrats again :)

Associate
As a mum of a 6 month old here is some tips

1) Sign up for the NCT antenatal courses. Yes they are run by a "hippy" and you have to pay for them but you will gain a group of friends who are in the same situation. When I was up at 3 every morning for a couple of weeks (what actually felt like forever) it was great to be able to read and receive emails from the other girls in support. Everyone looks at those first few months with rose tinted glasses unless you are doing it. We still meet up on a weekly basis and they're such a great support network.

2) If you're planning on breast feeding get as much support from the midwives at the hospital before you leave to make sure the baby latches properly. At first you don't care how the baby has latched as you are just happy they're feeding - trust me mastitis and abscesses hurt worse that labour

3) Get this changing mat and cover http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/70025318/ http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90140548/
Changing mats are made of plastic which is freezing cold and your baby will hate being naked for the first couple of week/months. The cover is terry toweling so snuggly, plus when they poo all over it in the middle of the night you can just whip one cover off and change it.

4) Get up in the night, even if it's just to change the babies bum. Yes you have to work during the day but your other half never gets a break from the baby. He is never more than 5 metres away demanding time. My husband always used to get Jacob up, change his bum, pass him over to me to feed then go back to sleep.

5) Get Asda or tesco own brand nappies (we used Asda). Huggies leaked for us and pampers smelt funny. They're only going to **** and wee in them go cheap!

6) Enjoy it, take photos, talk too much about your baby and bore everyone, it goes so quickly. No matter how tired you are, the morning when they do their first excited arms and legs wiggle plus smile when you get them cot makes up for everything.

Tea Drinker
Don
Encourage breast feeding I can't recommend this enough, it's good for mother and baby and a lot less work.

Buy what you need AFTER you found out you could have used it or it would have been handy there's so much pressure from magazines tv peers to buy all sorts of rubbish you'll never use.

Day 2 or 3 out of hospital she'll suddenly burst into tears after all the visits and attention it's really overwhelming so your job will be to boot every one out and cancel anyone coming for the day even if it upsets family

Don't stress it's the most natural experience for both of you, society turns it into a black art

Soldato
Like everything else in life, take one day at a time.

Also after the birth everyone will want to come over, try to get all but the closest to wait a couple of weeks so you can get on top of things.

Back
Top Bottom