SCVMM 2012

Associate
Anyone using SCVMM 2012 or even 2008 that could give me some help.

I installed the SCVMM product onto my machine but have since found out its a "management/library" portion and the actual virtualisation of OSes is done on a separate hyper v enabled "host" machine .

So I would need 1 server running the management tools and another handling all the actual VMs I want to use?

Dam MS making life harder

Associate
Yes, you need the hyper-v role installed on the same box or a different box. The role enables the creation of virtual hyper-v machines.

I have no experience using SCVMM2012 or 08, so the above is an educational guess. However I do know about Hyper-V.

Caporegime
First off, it doesn't "make life harder", but assuming you are trying to run this in a lab environment rather than a live one, there is no harm in running your SCVMM box virtualised on your Hyper-V environment. In theory you could run the Hyper-V role AND SCVMM/SQL on a single physical box, but again, don't even think about entertaining that on a live envronment.

Even in our live SCVMM 2012 (SP1) environment, the SCVMM (and SCCM, SCOM for that matter) servers are all on single hypervisor (Server 2012 datacenter with Hyper-V role). But that box is outside of the "cloud" that is our other 5 (SCVMM managed) hypervisors.

Associate
OP
I am trying to set up a in house environment for Automated Build test and Deploy with TFS and SCVMM.

So its not live in a sense to customers but the dev team will suffer downtime if it goes nuts so stability is still a priority.

So in a sense I would have my TFS/SQL box as is, I then have another machine that will be used for Builds but will also as as a Test Controller for the HyperV machines. This controller in the SCVMM environment can spawn VMs as and when needed for testing of products using codedUI tests and some in house tools.

the SCVMM manager can then be installed on the build machine as a library/management console.

So 3 machines in total
1 for TFS
1 for Build and Test controllers while also running the SCVMM Management console
1 Hyper V server for spawning Vms on demand.

Am I on the right track??

Cheers all
Regards
Joe

Back
Top Bottom