How many hours of lessons did it take you to pass your driving test?

Associate
I did 10 hours with an instructor but probably over 100 with my dad, passed first time, no problems.

Taught my Mrs how to drive, she only had 10 lessons too and passed on the first go, tbh I only used the lessons to polish for test technique.

Hawker

Permabanned
OP
Well thanks for the advice everyone. Going to start learning with my partner this weekend. Hopefully do about 6 hours per week for the next month or so then look to book in some proper lessons to get me test ready!

Associate
Pointless comparing with me as it was 23years ago. For the record though it was 10 lessons and quite a bit of extra driving with my Dad sitting next to me.

Go with the advice already given, do as much driving with your girlfriend sitting by you, and when your confident you can drive well (including reverse park),book about 3 or 4 lessons and take the test .

Associate
Pointless comparing with me as it was 23years ago. For the record though it was 10 lessons and quite a bit of extra driving with my Dad sitting next to me.

Same here, had 8 lessons, but my dad would make me drive places locally to get extra practice. 25yrs since i passed both car & bike tests!! ouch

Soldato
think i had about 20 lessons. but once he gave me the ok to drive with my parents i got lots of hours in as it was a 30 min drive to school every morning and afternoon so i had quite a bit of practice. passed first time with only 1 minor :D my instructor was like awww mannnnnn what happened?!?!?!? :p

when driving to the test center i went to pull out of a round about when a guy going way over the speed limit came flying round and had to slam on the brakes which shook me up a little bit.... then on my test we came to the same round about and i got the minor for "hesitating" because even tho i had time to go i waited for this massive lorry to go as i was still thinking of the previous event. so got penalised for being too safe :p were only there for about 10 seconds, hardly holding up traffic, but i just shrugged it off :p rather that then get it for racing out into the roundabout xD

smr

smr

Soldato
About 30, passed second time.

I should say that my first instructor I had to change because he wasn't progressing fast enough for me. Took me out and did identical lessons 2/3 times so he was trying to soak up the money, changed and 3/5 lessons later I was ready with a much better instructor. :)

Soldato
About 30, passed second time.

I should say that my first instructor I had to change because he wasn't progressing fast enough for me. Took me out and did identical lessons 2/3 times so he was trying to soak up the money, changed and 3/5 lessons later I was ready with a much better instructor. :)

yea my friend had that problem with some local driving instructor, she was just doing the same stuff over and over... like not even doing any of the maneuvers even after her suggesting them he would just say they'll leave it for another time. I even took her out for a few lessons and said i was a much better instructor haha xD I made her do the moves ;) giggerdy...... lead by example, showed her what i wanted her to do and then made her do it again and again, like bay parking for about 10 mins when we were going for food to make her get it right.... was good cos once she did it well she felt much better and more confident :)

but yea she then got a different official instructor and only took a few more lessons :D i like to think i was a major part haha xD

I did mine with BSM... granted it was probably more pricy then doing it through other companies but fair doos, never any nonsense, everything we were going to do was organised and well laid out so i could prepare for each lesson and a progress book. may seem gimmiky but i found it really helped as i'm very methodological about things xD

Soldato
Starting to feel that I got ripped off after reading some of the comments here...

I did about 50 hours, and passed first time with 8 minors. I did an intensive course, so quite often had 4 hours of driving a day. Granted, my instructor said after about 20ish hours that I knew how to drive, but I needed to keep practising and refining my driving as I was still making occasional mistakes that could have failed me on the test.

Still, I felt super confident going into the test and I'm pretty confident on the road.

Soldato
Same here, had 8 lessons, but my dad would make me drive places locally to get extra practice. 25yrs since i passed both car & bike tests!! ouch

Same for me'ish. 22yrs ago, had 1 lesson and instructor put me in for my test, was a waiting list of about 6 weeks, I rang up, got a cancellation and did it 2 weeks later with 1hr beforehand in the car. Saying that, I had been driving from the point I could press the pedals on the tractors on the farm (I can remember driving when I was so small I had to stand up as I couldn't reach the pedals when I was sat down!) so about 10-11yrs old. :D

Associate
About 14 lessons and when my dad was home at the weekends he'd take me out and let me get plenty of driving practise in just to help things along. Passed first time with 3 minors.

Back
Top Bottom