BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
I currently have a full BMW service history on my 09 335i convertible. I'm very tempted not to use the main dealer (Elms Camridge) any more and use this independent instead:-

http://www.benstenmotors.co.uk/

I used the when I had my old Z4 and they are excellent.

I plan to change the car in April/May 2013, should I keep up my BMW full service history or just use the Indi, or do you think using an Indi would put of a future purchaser of the vehicle ?

Associate
E92 320i failed its MOT on emissions earlier, lambda reading was too high.

How likely is this down to not taking the car for a blast? It had a new oxygen sensor fitted last week, could it be related?

Soldato
I currently have a full BMW service history on my 09 335i convertible. I'm very tempted not to use the main dealer (Elms Camridge) any more and use this independent instead:-

I plan to change the car in April/May 2013, should I keep up my BMW full service history or just use the Indi, or do you think using an Indi would put of a future purchaser of the vehicle ?
How many services do you anticipate between now and the Summer?

Associate
Soldato

How much is the difference in service prices? £50-£100?

At private advert face value level, FBMWSH > FSH. To that end I'd want a good reason to impact the service history.

Man of Honour
Soldato
Did some work on the car this weekend which was the first time I've done anything properly mechanical in a couple of years.

The parts to be fitted:
IMG_20121117_141546.jpg

New cover for wiper motor (they often flake apart), 2 new engine mounts, 2 new transmission mounts, oil and filter change, vanos rebuild kit (seals, valve cover gasket, new grommets etc), DISA valve seal, new temperature sensor, new seat switch, more oil & BMW coolant not shown.

The workshop:
IMG_20121118_125110.jpg

Better than a driveway I guess but really tight

I started off by doing the vanos seals:
IMG_20121117_132649.jpg

Pretty clean for an M54 considering the mileage. The whole process was remarkably simple if you follow this guide. The main surprise was cylinder 4. It looks like someone has replaced the rocker cover gasket in the past and messed up the gasket around the coil pack for cyl 4 as it was full of oil.

Once that was done, it was time to change the mounts. To be honest, I couldn't believe how messed up the mounts were once I got them out:
IMG_20121118_155850.jpg

As you can see one of the engine mounts was completely shot, unbelievably so. The other one seemed OK but transmission mounts just fell out. Again a remarkably easy job which is definitely an easy DIY for anyone with a basic tool kit.

I discovered 3 bad items. First frustration was trying to do the full coolant flush, the engine drain plug is in a ridiculous position! I've had to leave it for now. The second was a bodged temperature sensor connection which I'll have to repair now:
IMG_20121118_161725.jpg

The third was that my DISA valve is knackered so I 100% recommend checking it, takes about 2 mins to disconnect and all you need is a T40 torx bit. I'm going to rebuild using this kit I think.

So all I have left is to repair the DISA valve, temp sensor connections and do a few interior bits and I'll see how I go for a while. The suspension is a little on the tired side so I am tempted to do a refresh, but at the same time I'm already getting a hankering for more power - wish M5s weren't LOLmoney here.

Soldato
Nice post.

Was your DISA valve not making a load of noise? Mine started rattling around but I caught it straight away and I went down the replacement route as needed the car ASAP. Managed to get one for about £120 from the local BMW dealer.

Soldato
Nice write up. I'm thinking of replacing my rocker cover gasket myself to save a few quid. Seems like a simple enough job even for a novice like me.
If you follow the Beisan guide, it's really easy. It's all about prep and patience! I ordered everything from pelican parts, but I'm sure the UK has plenty of cheap places to get stuff from.

Thats an awesome machine

Someone's put in the wrench time
Cheers dude, what I did at the weekend was pretty basic compared to what I used to do back in Ireland. Still, I've had to buy a load of tools again so I'll more than likely start doing it again. Seriously thinking about selling this in a few months (should be able to make a decent return on it) and getting an e36 M3 though.. They aren't cheap though:
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/...4294966879+1216&num=15&silo=Stock&sort=~Price
Yes, that's $17k for a 14 year old 3 series BMW. I could have a 5 year old stonking V8 for that here. Oz BMW price fail :(

Nice post.

Was your DISA valve not making a load of noise? Mine started rattling around but I caught it straight away and I went down the replacement route as needed the car ASAP. Managed to get one for about £120 from the local BMW dealer.
It was/is but I didn't realise it was the DISA valve making the noise. Tbh, my engine isn't the smoothest 6 in the world, sounds like a really really refined and quiet diesel at idle. Dealer parts are LOLOLOLOL here (i.e. realoem price x 3) so not even worth going down that avenue. I'm going to take it apart first to ensure that the rebuild kit will be sufficient. If it's buggered, I'll just lash in a good second hand one, they're $240+shipping from Pelican parts.

Last edited:
Soldato
Tbh, my engine isn't the smoothest 6 in the world, sounds like a really really refined and quiet diesel at idle.
I don't think any of them are sweet-sounding at idle. I'd never describe mine as diesel-like though. I'd leave the DISA unplugged for now if I was you.

How is your front numberplate attached, does it not have a surround?

Back
Top Bottom