ownCloud 4.0 released

Associate
http://owncloud.org/

Looks like this is something people here have been waiting on for some time. I haven't had a chance to install it personally but it looks like a great personal alternative to Dropbox with all the trimmings :)

Associate
I think this one has FTP support, I liked version 3 but it was very slow to upload through the web interface compared to FTP but using FTP meant constantly changing permissions. Hopefully this version works better...

Associate
After reading this thread, I thought I'd give this a spin.

I installed it onto Debian and the default config works fine. However, I don't want my data stored under /var/www but on a separate disk.

I've followed the (minimal) instructions on the site to do this. I've copied the data folder to the new location and then created a symlink from /var/www/owncloud/data to the new directory.

Both the symlink and destination folder are owned by www-data. However, when I try and access via the GUI I get a message telling me the data folder is not writeable and to change the owner to www-data, which it already is.

I've also tried changing the datadirectory in config.php to point to the new location, but I get the same message that the data folder is not writeable.

Has anyone here managed to change the data directory?

Associate
Yeah, I looked on the forums and it seems some other people have this problem but no resolution. Works for some people, not for others. Input from the devs seems pretty minimal on their forums unfortunately, so I think I'm going to pass on this for now.

Associate
This was one of my major issues with OC3 also, it was too faffy to set up a storage directory outside of your http directory - especially with support for oweners/groups.

As for my current solutions it is just a mixture of dropbox and ports opened for NFS and Samba.

I managed to get it sorted in the end by mounting the new directory on an empty disk. Not sure why that would work and other methods didn't. However, I've still ditched it as the Windows sync client is a pile of ****. The main reason I wanted this was so I could keep my Windows machines in sync but the sync client constantly crashes so can't be relied upon. Back to my Samba/rsync setup.

Associate
Not seen that before tbh, looks pretty good, shame about the data directory faffyness though - would be good to store it on an encrypted partition outside of the webdir.

Back
Top Bottom