I thought linux was a complex "geeky" OS?

Associate
OP
I don't know how good your eyesight is, but i can not read any of that. Seems like a horrible way to arrange a menu though, far too many options in one place.

If there's something you want to do then you can ask about that and we can try to help you, but you can't just come up with this vague criticism that really means absolutely nothing and expect to be taken seriously.

Yeah my overall point was the windows GUI is more fully featured than linux GUI's which surprised me based on what i had heard about linux.

Associate
you have to delve into conf files in linux to configure the technical stuff, it does make things harder to do but has much more versatility and efficiency.

Soldato
Yeah my overall point was the windows GUI is more fully featured than linux GUI's which surprised me based on what i had heard about linux.

Linux doesn't really have a GUI the same way windows does though. Especially when it comes to system configuration.

There's various desktop environments, a multitude of window managers and decorators.

Also, to somewhat reply to one of your problems in your OP.

hdparm -S240 /dev/sda

This would spin your drive down after 20mins of inactivity.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Linux doesn't really have a GUI the same way windows does though. Especially when it comes to system configuration.

There's various desktop environments, a multitude of window managers and decorators.

Also, to somewhat reply to one of your problems in your OP.

hdparm -S240 /dev/sda

This would spin your drive down after 20mins of inactivity.

Im really looking to get into linux atm, i want to move away from windows completely but gaming keeps me from doing that. xen + vt-d and using the VGA passthrough looks very promising but its configuration is beyond me at the moment.

I suppose there are advantages to using the command line, write the commands to set up everything in a text file, save text file, copy/paste next time i need to reinstall or set up something else.

My only point to this thread was that i thought there would be a GUI option for everything that there is in windows, it surprised me to see there wasnt. Maybe in time the GUI will become fuller or ill just get used to the command line and it will become a non-issue ;)

Soldato
My guess is the command line will continue to take precedence ;)

Only with Ubuntu and similar distros like Mint (based off Ubuntu) will you see full blown 'Control Panel'-esq GUIs.

Associate
do a search for hard disk or disk drive in the Software Centre

You will hopefully find programs with a GUI that will let you tweak a lot more

Soldato
Don't slur the entire field with Ubuntu!

Last I heard Arch had scrapped their installation program because no one could be bothered to update it. FreeBSD needs to be installed by remembering a series of cryptic command lines if you want to use ZFS on the root drive. Gentoo persist in thoroughly bugtesting gcc. There's still plenty of barely-usable geeky options out there.

Soldato
Linux can be whatever you want it to be. You can run Ubuntu if you want a no fuss easy to use operating system or you can use something like Arch Linux if you want to tailor the operating system to your specific requirements.

For instance on my Linux desktop I just run Fluxbox for my GUI because it is ultra fast and doesn't come with a boat load of stuff that I will never use. All I really use my computer for is programming so I have no interest in pointless things like photo software or note taking apps. With Arch I can just have what I want and nothing else.

Just decide what you want from your computer and customise Linux to meet those requirements. That is something you have never been able to do with operating systems like Windows or Mac OS X.

Associate
Linux seems complicated until you get your head round it. Once you become proficient it's great. Like a lot of things there is obviously a learning curve involved.

I think linux and it's derivatives are great for servers and workstations where bespoke software isn't required. Windows serves a purpose for said software and gaming of course.

Soldato
Linux is as complicated as you want it to be.

Easy = Ubuntu / Linux Mint

Hardcore = Arch / Gentoo.

I use the easy option, gives me a clear GUI and I can still fiddle around in the terminal.

Back
Top Bottom