Arduino

Soldato
I'm halfway thru a project right now, does anyone know of an easy way of dimming a !kw lightbulb?

Right now I'm using a relay and while it works it doesn't allow me to dim the bulb - ie it's not fast enough for PWM.

Associate
I have an Arduino Uno and a Netduino which is uses Microsoft .net Microframework. I much prefer coding with the Netduino using Visual Studio IDE. I almost never use the Arduino now - can't get used to the IDE.

Soldato
I'm halfway thru a project right now, does anyone know of an easy way of dimming a !kw lightbulb?

Right now I'm using a relay and while it works it doesn't allow me to dim the bulb - ie it's not fast enough for PWM.

Easiest option would be to hunt out a 1KW AC dimming module (similar to THIS) otherwise you'll have to knock up a zero-crossing triac circuit. Worth searching the Arduino.cc forums though.

Edit - HERE is a post that is worth reading!

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm using an Arduino Nano to control some B&Q home automation devices (light switches, plug sockets etc). It uses a £10 433mhz transmitter/receiver pair from the electronics/gadget shop we're not allowed to mention and plugs into a nettop I have. From here you can send commands via UDP to emulate a remote control to switch off/on lights etc. You can receive signals from other remotes but I'm not doing anything with these yet - I'm busy writing an Android app at the moment so I can control things via my phone (I can already via a browser but I want to do it properly):

qU3Wa.png

Going to move it to some stripboard at some point next week with sockets for the Nano so I can remove it easily.

Last edited:

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Em3bbs looks like a good project :) Instead of writing an app I would look at using HTML5 instead so it's compatible across all mobile devices, you can then load the HTML5 up within an app if you must ;)

You might find this of some interest, instead of using your Arduino Nano which is great for proto typing but not so great for a long term project. You can build an Arduino for £5 on stripboard and then use your Nano to program it. (This is exactly what I've done for my Brewduino Project)

http://www.instructables.com/id/Stripboard-Arduino/

Soldato
Im looking to get into the Arduino side, looking for some advice here!

Any tutorials, my programming stops at DOS and BASIC and was so many years ago I even bothered trying to learn HTML. Are there any decent tutorials? I actually have an arduino as part of my MakerBot (retired) but its not getting stripped down.

Are there any others out there with at least a dozen analogue pins? I intend to create a temperature logger (Live hopefully) for my reptile room. I would like to be able to expand it once the bare bones is laid out. I would eventually like to have it update automatically over my network and keep live graphs and historical graphs for every single vivarium.

I currently have about 15 vivariums, and would really like to have a hot side and cool side temperature measurement (and eventually humidity) is this possible from a single arduino? Or would I need multiples and is it possible to have them work together running from a single PC?

Seems rather specific, but enviromental monitoring systems are incredibly expensive, especially for how many data points I want!

Soldato
I'm using an Arduino to build an Automated lawnmower as my main uni project for my 3rd year.

Consists of:
2 x 37D 5A Motors
3 x SR04 Sonar Sensors
3 x Current Detectors
1 x Arduino Demi
1 x SaberTooth 2 x 5A Motor Driver in PWM mode

Having great fun with it!

Below is a Sample vid from a while ago in development

Motors have some torque! And i made the base and wheels from MDF

Last edited:
Associate
After going round in circles trying to find alternative methods I have arrived here at the Arduino for a project.... is anyone still using them?
(this appears to be the official and dead thread :()

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
After going round in circles trying to find alternative methods I have arrived here at the Arduino for a project.... is anyone still using them?
(this appears to be the official and dead thread :()

I still tinker, moved on to using Particle.IO now instead though.

What project are you working on?

Associate
I still tinker, moved on to using Particle.IO now instead though.

What project are you working on?

I haven't used an arduino in nearly 2 years. I just looked up particle.io as I had not heard of it before now. Might get a board to test. I have been doing some development lately on the electric imp platform. Have you tried any of there boards for any projects?

@Whoop also interested to know what kind of project you are planning

Soldato
I've not built anything for a while but my last two projects were:-

An Atari Star Wars controller yoke. I used the Arduino to act as a joystick to read the potentiometers and fire buttons. This works really well. Almost like the real thing.

Christmas lights jumper. I added a few dozen neopixels to the inside of a christmas jumper and use the arduino to control them. Simple but works.

I've never done anything with IoT.

Associate
Hiya,

A vague overview of the project is a geometric pattern made out of WS2812B addressable LEDs with a variety of preset patterns programmed into an Arduino Uno (though I may hit memory issues and need a Mega), simple chase, burst, sparkle type stuff for effect (or maybe nearer christmas some ********** and stuff).

However I want to trigger them via a shielded input on the IO pins of the Arduino and control it via a standard DMX controller.

I'm not letting my zero knowledge of Arduino code hold me back. :D

Back
Top Bottom