Sending iOS audio through Aux In

Soldato
Hey all,

Every morning I connect my iPhone to my car speakers through an Aux In connection...

It allows me to play my music through the car stereo, and it also plays my sat nav voice no problem... However, iOS audio such as the new mail tone and Siri's voice don't play through the stereo (or they're so quiet I can't hear it maybe?).

So when I get a new email and my music is playing, the only way I know is when the music dips in volume (this is when the mail tone should play).

The main reason I want this is for Siri, I can't use it as well at the moment as I can't hear what the ol chap is saying :p

Any ideas? Any setting I may be missing?

Thanks,

Marky

Soldato
I don't think there's any settings to make this possible but it would be good. If I connected my old phone through the 3.5mm jack everything would come through the speakers.

I haven't tried connecting my 4s just into the jack but I'd lose all the control of my music if I did that.

Soldato
Aux in via headphone jack or dock connector?

You've got two different volume controls, one for music and one for the ringer and alerts. While music is playing the volume control is for music, and when you're not it's for the ringer.

You can either change it before you start playing music, or go into settings>sound while music is playing and adjust it there (will give you a better idea of the level compared to your music).

Soldato
OP
It's a cable that goes from the headphone jack on my phone to an "AUX IN" port on my van

Both the ringer and music volume are almost max so not sure...

Maybe when Siri starts talking I'll try the volume control and see if it's another control that I hadn't noticed.

Associate
You might consider a belkin aircast.
Phone connects to it via bluetooth, it connects to the car via the aux in.

As far as the phone goes its little different to a bluetooth headset, so if they can receive notification sounds I reckon the aircast will.

The added bonus is it'll give you hands free voice calls and still play music..

Associate
This might sound stupid, but you've not got the phone set to "mute" have you (with the hardware switch). When it's on mute, and the audio is plugged in - it prevents any of the "system sounds" playing (except maybe ringtone, not 100% on that).

Soldato
Siri still talks at you when muted :)

You could try setting Siri's volume to max, system volume to max and turning the music volume down a bit. Rinse & repeat until you find the right balance.

Back
Top Bottom