Spec me a... Bike Lock

Gangster
Associate
Wassup forum, I am buying a entry level mountain bike (Trek 3700) to be precise and i need a very good lock to protect it getting stolen from scum.

I live in oxford and have one of the biggest stolen bike rates in england due to the high number of students that study here.

My Budget is £50 but will spend more if it is really worth it.

Only need it to lock it up outside gym, The bike goes into my work and safely in the changing rooms.

Permabanned
Just to point out, you will need to lock the frame, front wheel and saddle.

A quick look at any bike forum will give you a selection of recommended locks,
Pretty much you pay for what you get.

Associate
I have the trek 4300 and 2 weeks after having it (and the one time i didnt lock the back wheel to the frame) the back wheel was pinched... Annoying...

So i purchased:
- Pitlocks
- Kryptonite Evo 4 Long Shackle D-Lock
- Krypoflex Cable

I lock the D lock around the rear wheel and through the rear A frame to the sheffield stand / secure point and have the flex cable looping through the front wheel connecting to the D lock.

Like this
lsmini2.jpg

with the flex cable securing the front wheel

so £46 for a Gold secure D-lock and flex cable on amazon :).

Associate
I was down the gym this evening, and outside on a Sheffield stand was a front wheel and D-lock... lock them up properly!

What have u ending up buying then?

Associate
I have the trek 4300 and 2 weeks after having it (and the one time i didnt lock the back wheel to the frame) the back wheel was pinched... Annoying...

So i purchased:
- Pitlocks
- Kryptonite Evo 4 Long Shackle D-Lock
- Krypoflex Cable

I lock the D lock around the rear wheel and through the rear A frame to the sheffield stand / secure point and have the flex cable looping through the front wheel connecting to the D lock.

Like this
lsmini2.jpg

with the flex cable securing the front wheel

so £46 for a Gold secure D-lock and flex cable on amazon :).

When the flex cable is secured using the d-lock I would have thought just cutting the d-lock renders both locks useless. Would securing the flex cable on it's own with it's own padlock be better ?

Soldato
When the flex cable is secured using the d-lock I would have thought just cutting the d-lock renders both locks useless. Would securing the flex cable on it's own with it's own padlock be better ?

Flex cable is just to deter casual thieves. Anyone with a set of 36" bolt croppers will be able to go though both the d-lock and the cable in a matter of seconds.

Those cables are nowhere near as thick as they look; the transparent plastic sheath magnifies.

In fact you could go though the cable with hand shears.

It's really about making your bike look a harder target than the one next it.

Associate
With a D-lock the main attacks are with jacks or levers, so ensure you fill the lock with as much of your bike as possible so there's no room to get one in.

Associate
[DOD]Asprilla;24897684 said:
Flex cable is just to deter casual thieves. Anyone with a set of 36" bolt croppers will be able to go though both the d-lock and the cable in a matter of seconds.

Those cables are nowhere near as thick as they look; the transparent plastic sheath magnifies.

In fact you could go though the cable with hand shears.

It's really about making your bike look a harder target than the one next it.

Foreign language but you get the idea...

http://youtu.be/kMXO1cS5J0U

Gold secure rating...

Back
Top Bottom