N40L + Windows 7 + SSD = BSOD

Associate
Having supplied 3 of these servers to people, I've had a chance to test all of them each with a different SSD (OCZ Agility 3 x 2 and a Kingston V200). All of them caused blue screens either during installation or at random intervals. Using the supplied 250Gb HDD, there were no blue screens.

My question is, has anyone managed to successfully install Windows 7 onto an SSD in an N40L Microserver? If so, did you do anything special to make it work and what SSD are you using?

Uvo

Uvo

Associate
I'm using a 60GB OCZ Vertex 2e with Windows 7 on it without any problems.

Can't remember if there was any BIOS settings that needed set first though.

Soldato
Having supplied 3 of these servers to people, I've had a chance to test all of them each with a different SSD (OCZ Agility 3 x 2 and a Kingston V200). All of them caused blue screens either during installation or at random intervals. Using the supplied 250Gb HDD, there were no blue screens.

My question is, has anyone managed to successfully install Windows 7 onto an SSD in an N40L Microserver? If so, did you do anything special to make it work and what SSD are you using?

I have this issue. Glad it isnt just me!

Associate
Running a Vertex 4 on modified BIOS here. SSD is connected to SATA port on mobo with ACHI set in BIOS. Been running fine for a month.

Associate
Set one up for my brother like this, used a samsung 830 60gb on the optical drive port sata with the modified bios. Seems to be working fine as I haven't been called over to fix anything since I set it up over a month ago...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Anyone referring to this in the future, I managed to solve it with

a) a 5th HP microserver
b) a new firmware for my SSD which had recently been released
c) the hacked BIOS for the N40L - http://www.avforums.com/forums/netw...6l-microserver-updated-ahci-bios-support.html

One of those, or maybe even a combination of the above, has now meant windows 7 runs without any hiccups/BSODs. I hadn't tried the BIOS mod before this server but I suspect the SSD firmware had the biggest part to play.

Back
Top Bottom