England tour of India: Tests, ODIs, T20s

Soldato
I hope they get Morgan in for Bell. I'm not quite annoyed enough with supposedly talented batsmen throwing away their wickets cheaply to sub-continent spin yet, I'm sure he'll be the perfect icing on the cake.

Soldato
Yes definitely, it's much more enjoyable. It feels much more 'classical'. The enjoyment doesn't come from frenzy or excitement, it comes from a sense of tranquility that just can't be had from TV comms.

How are you finding Dravid on the mic?

Oops, missed your post buddy!! Listening to Aggers and Blowers is a whole lot more entertaining than listening to Nasser Hussain and looking at Botham's miserable visage.

I've not actually caught any of Dravid on TMS yet but I've no doubt he's good; got a lot of respect for him. I guess I'm catching it at the wrong times.

Talking of Dravid, did you catch his speech at the Sir Donald Bradman Oration 2011? True gentleman and excellent speaker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr4bK63WxXY

Caporegime
Michael Clarke has made history by becoming the first batsman ever to score four double centuries in a single calendar year. His magnificent captain's knock included five 4s off a single over:

Pwnage. That's the only word for it. Either that or Michael Clarke has been playing in god mode.

How else could one explain Clarke scoring his fourth Test double-century this year, a feat that nobody, not even Bradman, has ever achieved? How else could Australia have piled on 482 runs, the most they have managed in a day of Test cricket since 1910? But this was no video game. Graeme Smith couldn't switch off and start over, no matter how much he wanted to.

Clarke finished the afternoon unbeaten on 224. That's two innings in this series for two double-hundreds. David Warner struck a highly entertaining 119 earlier in the day, at better than a run a ball. Michael Hussey scored his second consecutive century, an innings that ended only when he played on to Dale Steyn from what became the last ball of the day for 103.

If that wasn't enough for South Africa, they also spent most of the day one bowler short after Jacques Kallis left the field in the first session with a hamstring injury.

(Source).

First day of the Adelaide test and we've made 482 runs at the expense of only 5 wickets. Amazing scenes! Commentators are already calling it the greatest first day innings of any team in any form of cricket, ever.

:cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Is Steyn and Morkel not effective at all? It must be bad if the Aussies are scoring that many runs against the SA attack. Good to see Clarke peaking now. He will have gone back into a runless-rut by the time the Ashes come around.

Caporegime
Is Steyn and Morkel not effective at all?

The biggest blow for South Africa was losing Kallis. He took two quick wickets and looked genuinely dangerous, but left the field with a grade 1 hamstring strain at the end of the 16th over and did not return. He has since been cleared to bat, though he will not bowl again in this Test.

Steyn also succumbed to a bad hamstring; he was off in the 66th over, but came back at the end of the day to take Hussey's wicket with the last ball. I've got to give him credit for that, it was very impressive.

Morkel is fit; he took two early wickets, but that was all he could manage. For the rest of the day Clarke and Hussey just chewed him up and spat him out repeatedly. Tahir was expected to contain our batsmen with spin, but he was even worse than Morkel and took no wickets at all. He conceded an embarrassing number of runs.

In summary, the Saffas' bowling attack was almost entirely toothless.

At the start of the day Australia was struggling on 3 for 55. We ended on 5 for 482 after less than 85 overs, with two centuries and one double century. I think that's a pretty good effort.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Amazing scenes! :D

Gotta give Warner some love, he racked up 100 at a frightening speed. :eek:

Adelaide Oval is always a batsman's paradise for the first three days, but by the 4th day it's deteriorating rapidly. Australia needs to post 600+ and put the Saffas in just before tea tomorrow. If we can knock them over and enforce the follow-on, they could be left struggling on a hideous 4th day pitch.

Soldato
There was an interesting article on cricinfo about Broad behaving like a spoilt child. There seems to be a lot of people who don't warm to him at all, myself included. Would love to see him have to fight his way back into the team.

Soldato
Swann in on it now, Yuvraj gone to the first ball from him!

Commentators keep quoting the fact that England never win with Monty and Swann playing together, do they not consider that it might be to do with the fact that we can't bat on these pitches???

Back
Top Bottom