Good fallout 3 game mechanics guide

Caporegime
OP
It wasn't for me. I put around 50-60 hours into a PC playthrough, and the only crashes I had were relating to mods I had installed, and were generally fixed just by changing the load order of the mods. I certainly didn't encounter the same level of bugs other people did.

If you fancy it on the PC, I reckon it'll be in the Steam sale at Christmas, so only a month or so to wait for that. It'll give you enough time to play through on the Xbox, then get the GOTY edition on the PC, and then use your knowledge of the game to decide what mods you want to run.

As much as I love Fallout 3 on the Xbox, and as much as I generally prefer console gaming over PC, for me the definitive version of Fallout 3 is on the PC with a few mods installed. It made an already exceptional game even better.

i must be really really slow! 22hours for me and im only up to level 8 and on the fixing the dish mission (which i think is critical?)

does sound like the best plan, maybe i shouldnt try to do everything in one run? (though i do like to)

Caporegime
OP
best game I have played on the xbox for sheer value..the game of the year edition cost me 20 quid and I have played on it hundreds of hours

if only they could make a fallout 3 game with co-op..it would be superb to play with friends

would be my ideal game..with random dungeons or quests I would never need another game

for me (who only plays coop split screen) im thankful that there are still a few decent one player games around like this.
most games seem to be going online mainly with a short campaign.

as much as split screen on this would be amazing (one person big guns and another small expert) i bet it would be hard to get working, especially on the xbox which gets a bit over whelmed with just one player!

Man of Honour
i must be really really slow! 22hours for me and im only up to level 8 and on the fixing the dish mission (which i think is critical?)

does sound like the best plan, maybe i shouldnt try to do everything in one run? (though i do like to)

You're not really slow, the PC playthrough was my 3rd, so I knew exactly what I was doing, which made it a lot quicker.

Also, the fixing the dish mission is considered critical, but only on your first playthrough. Without spoiling anything, when you've played the game once and know where everything is, you can skip whole missions simply by going to certain locations straight away. I wouldn't though, simply because I like the storyline and making my way through the game properly.

Caporegime
Without spoiling anything, when you've played the game once and know where everything is, you can skip whole missions simply by going to certain locations straight away. I wouldn't though, simply because I like the storyline and making my way through the game properly.

Same here, in fact when I was trying to reach level 30 for the trophy, I'd completed all of the main quests, all of the side quests and the vast majority of the unmarked quests and I was still only level 27. It took ages of grinding on Very Hard to make up the XP from 27>30. If you skip main quests and you want to get to level 30 then you'll end up grinding the crap out of the game later, or using exploits like the scrap metal glitch on an unpatched game but then I don't see the point in using exploits on a single player game.

Man of Honour
I never understood why people cheat on single player. You know you've cheated, i just don't get it.

Love the game tho.
Skipping some of the missions isn't cheating IMHO, it's just passing missions by because you know where you're meant to go. Like I said though, I have far too much fun doing the missions and just exploring the wastelands to bother skipping stuff.

As an example of how big the game is, I remember that during my PC playthrough I had gone past 200 hours in the game in total, and I was still finding things I hadn't seen before. There's just so much to explore, it's amazing.

Soldato
I've only just found out that there's a toggleable light on the Pip-Boy. :o

Suddenly all those help tips about turning off the light to avoid detection make sense.

Soldato
my stats for my sniper in FallOut (don't remember if these stats are FO£ or FONV but that wouldn't change much except books). finding the books are key ;). I always max luck (crits) and lockpick since I like to leave no stones unturned, and companions helpful for radar (also saves points on perception) or saving money for repairs and maxing weapons damage for longer as well as a storage mule. favourite weapon was the Lincoln repeater rifle for quick takedown or Gobi for stealth. dint use automatics or energy as ammo becomes an issue -> VATS is your friend :p

I played on second hardest level, I had started hardest mode but after a while I got bored of micromanaging food/rest - it was boring and enemy are not tougher than 2nd hardest level.

BTW FONV > FO3, but I loved both. I just thought New Vegas was more interesting/fun/lively place than DC

fo3nv.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP

Deep indeed. How could you see anything? I keep brightness on default, as much of a pain that is on a plasma

my stats for my sniper in FallOut (don't remember if these stats are FO£ or FONV but that wouldn't change much except books). finding the books are key ;). I always max luck (crits) and lockpick since I like to leave no stones unturned, and companions helpful for radar (also saves points on perception) or saving money for repairs and maxing weapons damage for longer as well as a storage mule. favourite weapon was the Lincoln repeater rifle for quick takedown or Gobi for stealth. dint use automatics or energy as ammo becomes an issue -> VATS is your friend :p

I played on second hardest level, I had started hardest mode but after a while I got bored of micromanaging food/rest - it was boring and enemy are not tougher than 2nd hardest level.

BTW FONV > FO3, but I loved both. I just thought New Vegas was more interesting/fun/lively place than DC

fo3nv.jpg

Is that NV because I don't recognise some of the perks? Also a perk every 2 levels?

I think I now realise what I should have put my points in. Luck, agility, perception and intelligence mainly, I'm far too balanced
What is implant, and sf etc?
I also will max out lockpick first, I want to explore everywhere, damn Bobby pins are hard to find.
I took scrounger perk because I find sniper ammo hard to come by

As far as skills go as well as lock pick I'm concentrating on repair, small guns, sneak, speech, with some in big guns, science, medicine, explosives and barter
I've ignored unarmed, melee,

Last edited:
Caporegime
I also will max out lockpick first, I want to explore everywhere, damn Bobby pins are hard to find.
I took scrounger perk because I find sniper ammo hard to come by

If you want a protip then most of the merchants inventories are refreshed/resupplied every few days, I usually waited around 48 hours and then went back to buy more stuff, that's where I got all my ammo from. Mainly from Flak and Shrapnel in Rivet City, the armoury in The Citadel, Lucky Harith or by just killing Super Mutants/Talon Company.

Soldato
level 18, only just done visited half the map and the virtual village main mission.. needs to be harder to level up!

Yeah its not hard to level up really but some of the missions later get quite challenging and without levelling up before them you are nothing but fodder.

Have to say this thread has inspired me to install it again and get playing through.

I reckon I might be total knob this time round and upset just about everyone to see how far it gets me :D

Oh and the Alien Blaster is the best weapon even if it hardly had any ammo.

Back
Top Bottom