spec me a distro software please.

Associate
Hi all,

Fed up with windows slowing my laptop down so was thinking about installing Linux.

My laptop is a Sony vaio core 2 duo 2.66, 3 gig DDR 2 ram and 250gig hdd, we mainly use it for Microsoft office, web surfing including YouTube and editing digital photos.

What free distro would you recommend? And what would be my must have software (preferably free also)?

I will initially install it on a USB pen drive so my wife and kid can get used to it.

Thanks people.

Associate
OpenSuse and Fedora are two very good Linux distributions, although plenty of people like Ubuntu as well. Haven't used Mint for a while but that is also decent :)

Libre Office is a pretty good alternative to Microsoft Office, and works in Windows too, but it's not a 100% replacement in my opinion.

GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is a very decent program for photo editing.

Libre Office & GIMP will most likely be installed by default otherwise are easy enough to install :)

Last edited:
Associate
Linux Mint and Kubuntu are pretty close looking to Windows. I find that Ubuntu is more like MacOS these days. You might have to get used to a different free open source Office suite such as LibraOffice, but if you're using office programs, I'd consider Office365 or Google Docs. Upgrade your hard drive to SSD and it'll run Linux as smooth as butter!

Soldato
I use Ubuntu on my spare box, I find it very easy to get on with as well as having free Office and photo editing software.

Contemplating getting another HDD to run a dual boot.

Associate
Zorin OS 6 Core Linux - The Windows Replacement

I installed Zorin 6 on a Sony Vaio for a friend some 3 months ago.
I played around with it for a few days and thought it was pretty cool.

Zorin 6 can be made to look like Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 or Linux - takes a second to switch between layouts.

Checkout this 10 minute review on youtube:
Zorin OS 6 Core Linux - The Windows Replacement Linux System?
by user: PuppyLinuxWorld
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ih7AqYcI9o

Back
Top Bottom