so im told I have a disciplinary meeting tomorrow

Caporegime
If you are enjoying an opportunity at another companies expense it could be seen that you will favour their product in future should an opportunity arise.
You have to be careful with these things tbh.
If it was training (proper training) on a system that you use day in day out then I could understand you going and there being no issue.
Just get everything written down and make sure you are clear about what they are saying. Also best to make sure they are following any disciplinary procedure in terms of time to prepare for any meeting.

Associate
There may have been a business reason for them to refuse your original request, and by going against it you may have put something in jeopardy. Hope you sort it out without trouble.

Associate
Your union rep will have a field day with this. Your company does not get to decide what you do with your spare time and money.

If its considered against company policy that you dont associate with partners and competitors out of work hours, and it's in the terms of employment, then even a union rep will have trouble defending what you did.

Soldato
If its considered against company policy that you dont associate with partners and competitors out of work hours, and it's in the terms of employment, then even a union rep will have trouble defending what you did.

That would be an unfair term. And not a very good use of it either. Its training for a product they use, they are provider, not a competitor.

Or maybe I am screwed, I work for Yodel and got a delivery from DPD yesterday! :eek:

Soldato
Does the company that the OP works for even have a union ?. It always makes me laugh when people say "speak to the union rep" or "the union rep will have a field day with this" when I would imagine that most places dont have unions.

Soldato
Does the company that the OP works for even have a union ?. It always makes me laugh when people say "speak to the union rep" or "the union rep will have a field day with this" when I would imagine that most places dont have unions.

To be honest, I would have a hard time working for one that doesn't. It's not that clear cut of course, times are hard etc.

Soldato
Suppose it depends on what you do, Ive never worked anywhere that has nor have I ever been a member of the generic ones. The only person I know who would have access to a union is my wife who's at the NHS.

23.1% of the GB workforce is a member of a union which tbh is a lot higher than I would have thought. I would have thought it was more single figures. I'll shut up :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I personally have never and never will join a union - they can provide good services (like the use the op would have for them now) but have too many ground in, archaic practises / viewpoints for me.

If you're willing to research/seek advice and calmly represent yourself there is no need to involve a union.

Soldato
OP
so update folks, my boss was in for well over an hour or so and after dukeing it out and it came down to a he shouldn't of given permission if we were already told no, as we should have argued back at them why we should have gone and it made us look silly apparently. We got a just dont do it again and clearly the situation was blown well out of control ..."shock" ......

Caporegime
Happy-days.jpg

Soldato
I work for Yodel................

Ohhhhhhh dear, you're in for a world of hurt on here now that you've let that out of the bag :eek: :p

Anyway where's my battery pack I didn't receive in January:mad: :p

@OP glad it was all sorted amicably, might be a good idea to keep your head down for a few months and polish your company image hard so no mud can stick ;)

Soldato
Ohhhhhhh dear, you're in for a world of hurt on here now that you've let that out of the bag :eek: :p

Anyway where's my battery pack I didn't receive in January:mad: :p

I have mentioned it before lol. I think most people just don't know though. It does kind of make me laugh, I work in a department tracking lost/damaged items and I know *exactly* how much stuff isn't delivered, yet people here seem to think they know better.

Back
Top Bottom