so im told I have a disciplinary meeting tomorrow

Soldato
so update folks, my boss was in for well over an hour or so and after dukeing it out and it came down to a he shouldn't of given permission if we were already told no, as we should have argued back at them why we should have gone and it made us look silly apparently. We got a just dont do it again and clearly the situation was blown well out of control ..."shock" ......

So someone got embarrased that you did something in your own time that they said not to do, ergo making them look like a goon but against no company policy?

amiright?

Caporegime
Does the company that the OP works for even have a union ?. It always makes me laugh when people say "speak to the union rep" or "the union rep will have a field day with this" when I would imagine that most places dont have unions.

most places are just part of the massive unions like unite.

Soldato
Suppose it depends on what you do, Ive never worked anywhere that has nor have I ever been a member of the generic ones. The only person I know who would have access to a union is my wife who's at the NHS.

23.1% of the GB workforce is a member of a union which tbh is a lot higher than I would have thought. I would have thought it was more single figures. I'll shut up :)

considering that 21% of the workforce in the UK is employed in the public sector I am not surprised at all.

http://www.civilservant.org.uk/numbers.pdf

Public sector workers are generally the highest population of workers with union representation / membership when compared to private.

Soldato
Constructive dismissal must be within the realms of possibility of that had stuck. Do your employers have an HR department? Or is this procedure internet HR?
How can they stop you doing what you want in your free time? Have you checked your contract?

Permabanned
considering that 21% of the workforce in the UK is employed in the public sector I am not surprised at all.

http://www.civilservant.org.uk/numbers.pdf

Public sector workers are generally the highest population of workers with union representation / membership when compared to private.

On average a split of about 60/40% public sector/private sector, respectively.

Country with highest membership density is Wales - across all sectors - at approx. 35% of workforce. England is the lowest.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Getting extra training is surely not one of them.

Well in this case in the end there wasn't a disciplinary in the end.
But general rule of thumb doing deals with work contacts outside of work is generally not a heat idea. As you can still be seen as acting on your company's behaves even if your intentions are not that.

Especially when the whole things worded like it is in op as partners and possibly selling stuff rather than pure training etc.

Associate
Even in free time you still work for the company. You are still restricted to certain things in your free time.

Indeed. You can definitely get done for misconduct or gross misconduct via inappropriate actions in your non-work time. It's all to do with 'bringing the reputation of the company into disrepute' and suchlike...

Soldato
Does the company that the OP works for even have a union ?. It always makes me laugh when people say "speak to the union rep" or "the union rep will have a field day with this" when I would imagine that most places dont have unions.

Even if you're not Unionised, never let your boss know. I've had a few things work in my favour because I said "I'll speak to my Union rep" or "my Union will be hearing about this". Really does make the senior management poo themselves. I've been tempted to join one but these magic words seem to be all I need to say. I suppose it helps that I do my own research and make sure what I'm trying to achieve is within the realms of possibility or the right thing and they are in the wrong.

Soldato
Even if you're not Unionised, never let your boss know. I've had a few things work in my favour because I said "I'll speak to my Union rep" or "my Union will be hearing about this". Really does make the senior management poo themselves. I've been tempted to join one but these magic words seem to be all I need to say. I suppose it helps that I do my own research and make sure what I'm trying to achieve is within the realms of possibility or the right thing and they are in the wrong.

Some companies do not recognise unions and therefore couldn't give two hoots ...........

Back
Top Bottom