Buy MacBook Air now or wait till update?

Associate
I'm so tempted to buy my first MacBook (Air) right now but I would be so gutted if a new version came out in the near future. Do you guys just buy them or do you always wait for the newest design/spec?

Associate
OP
Ok great!!
What are the main reasons for getting the pro over the air?
I played with them in the shop and the air seemed faster.

I read that most people upgrade to 8gb ram, is this necessary? I like to do basic photo and video processing (just for fun really), and then just general daily use.

Soldato
Now, there aren't really any reasons to get a Pro over the Air. The only thing holding the Air back with the last generation was the inability to have 8GB of memory in it (hence why I have a Pro). The Air is the quicker machine in day to day use because it has a decent SSD in it now. Really, the only thing that the Pro has going for it is the slight increase in processing power (around 15%) and the keyboard if you prefer it (ie. that doesn't really count, it's a matter of preference).

The memory upgrade, I'd definitely recommend it for your uses.

Associate
OP
£200 more gets a retina MacBook Pro 13"!

Ill have to go back in the shop and have another go on them.
Thanks for your help.

Associate
i have base 2012 mac air with 4gb and 128gb ssd

its just perfect in everyday life

mac uses 64 bt interface so if u have 8 gb and someone 4gb 8 gb will always use it more as it has more space

4 gb is more than enough

i have photoshop office safari utorrent mail and other apps open and it never exceeded 3gb usage

sure in june or july we will get new with retina with intel haswell cpu and hd5000 but

and in 2014 and 2015 so u can wait all time :D

Last edited:
Soldato
£200 more gets a retina MacBook Pro 13"!

Ill have to go back in the shop and have another go on them.
Thanks for your help.

£200 more? If we consider the base MBA 13 (don't bother with the top one) with 8GB of memory, it's £370 more. Just to make sure you're getting things right and not overpaying.

Worth noting that if you're looking to use this as your main machine, a new monitor could be partially covered with that much money. Worth considering, as this may prove to be a better setup for you.

EDIT: Ignore, I'm derping like a pro!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ordered the 13" retina MacBook Pro! Couldnt resist the retina. Should get it tomorrow.

Now what's the best way to backup this laptop over NAS?

Soldato
Time Machine, not worth looking at alternatives.

To backup to a NAS you'll need a network drive that uses AFP. I can't provide recommendations other than Synology and QNAP typically being the ones to look at, and that using an AirPort Extreme or Time Capsule with an external drive may prove to be extremely problematic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom