Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Yep - works great, I find remote desktoping in a lot, lot better!

Really happy I went from 2008R2 to 2012.

I've got it going on esxi with 2gb of ram allocated and it's pretty snappy to be honest.

Me, it's better in every way so far. I did run into a weird issue when installing it off a USB stick, ended up having to create a partition, copy the install files to it then boot from that.

ah excellent cheers all I think I might make the migration tonight :)

Soldato
have you made your shares available to everyone on the network in security settings? I normally find thats the biggest issue when sharing stuff, though never tried it on 360/sony.

Yep I've tried looking at guest accounts and configuring the permissions for everyone and it won't always update automatically. It can sometimes take up to a day or so to update by itself.

However, I can force it to update and register new content by setting the media share for a server folder on the dashboard to 'no' and then back to 'yes'. Doing this will make it acknowledge the new content.

Is there anyway to make it do this automatically? Is there a background service for this?

Associate
Any reccomendations on fans to get if it is them?

The noise is kinda on off droan, like hhhhmmmm....hhhhmmmm....hhhhmmmm....

I never noticed it before until the wife mentioned it, now can't get it out of my head.

regards,

Matt

Mine does this, but I found it was the case vibrating. I've put mine on foam (as it was on a hard surface) which helped but sometimes the front door moves position and starts droning again. I either push it around or open it and the noise stops.

Associate
Looking at a MicroServer as a combined Win 7 Media Centre HTPC and NAS solution.

Should the below work well together and not too hot?

N40L Microserver
8GB RAM
120GB SSD for OS connected to motherboard
2 x 3TB SATA drives connected to motherboard (RAID 1)
ATi 5450 PCIe graphics
Black Gold 3620 Tuner

Cheers,

ICE

Permabanned
That would be fine, similar to what I am running.

No point putting the 3 in raid 1 though, they will be fast enough in their own and 3 times more change of losing everything if raid 1.

Associate
Anyone know if it is still possible to get the £100 cash back?

Has the offer been extended cant seem to see anything, but i really like the look of these boxes

Soldato
How noisy or quiet is this thing? I'm looking at maybe getting one to have in my room - and it will be running constantly - is it quiet enough to sleep in the same room with?

Secondary question - I'm looking to run SABnzbd, Sickbeard and Couchpotato all in the background while it is connected to the TV running XBMC - Am I assuming correctly that this bad boy can handle all this at once?

Soldato
How noisy or quiet is this thing? I'm looking at maybe getting one to have in my room - and it will be running constantly - is it quiet enough to sleep in the same room with?

Secondary question - I'm looking to run SABnzbd, Sickbeard and Couchpotato all in the background while it is connected to the TV running XBMC - Am I assuming correctly that this bad boy can handle all this at once?

I had mine on my desk but I found it a little too noisy its now hidden away under the desk and I can barely hear it, a lot will depend on what and how many drives you put in I guess, ive got the 250gb that came with it along with 2 x 2tb Samsung F4's. My PSU fan was probably the loudest part

with regards to the cashback, how long has it been running for now..... they might aswell just reduce the RRP :)

Caporegime

It is quiet enough to sleep with it on BUT the HDDs sometimes vibrate which makes a noise. A gentle tap of the case normally stops it for me.
It either vibrates when it powers on, or it doesn't, it has never bothered me enough to look into it but I reckon it is one of the HDDs rattling against the caddy?

Mine runs Plex and torrents at the same time. It has also run SABnzbd and Plex at the same time. I have not used Sick Beard and Couchpotato before.

rp2000

Associate
Does anyone know How well would this run Windows Server 2012 + SQL 2012...with 8GB of RAM?

It meets minimum requirements, but is it useable?

Soldato
I would imagine it would be fine, SQL is mainly a heavy memory application (will chew up everything you let it) rather than CPU at least from what I've experienced.

Back
Top Bottom