*** Nexus 10 Tablet ***

Izi

Izi

Soldato
Thought so, regardless the screen real estate is pretty similar to other 10 inch tablets but screen clarity is immeasurably better as a result of the resolution.

OK, thats what i needed to know. I would be interested in what the actual resolution translated is though, like they showed in the apple article.

I know that there are exactly 2560x1600 pixels on this tablet, I just want to understand how they are used.

Soldato
OK, thats what i needed to know. I would be interested in what the actual resolution translated is though, like they showed in the apple article.

I know that there are exactly 2560x1600 pixels on this tablet, I just want to understand how they are used.

Whilst I can understand how greater screen real estate is an issue on laptops, for a tablet surely its a non-issue. Mainly because applications are run full screen so real estate is pretty irrelevant.

It's obviously not 1:1 pixel mapping as it would make the tablet unusable but regardless the resolution compared to the competition leads to a marked improvement in image quality, sharpness, clarity etc.

Soldato
Its simple look at ipad 2 and ipad retina the retina is sharper and has more PPI and higher resolution but surface area is about the same. Its the same with the nexus10 and the note 10.1

Associate

You probably need to start thinking about resolution in a different way.

In the past operating systems effectively assumed a fixed number of PPI (Pixels Per Inch). Add more pixels and you add more screen real estate. Make those pixels physically smaller or larger and what can be seen gets smaller or larger. There were some adjustments for changing PPI but at least with windows they messed things up with for example menu text not lining up properly.

Now take a modern Android tablet. The question is what physical size should the UI elements, icons, text etc be to provide the best experience.

On a 10" screen everything should physically be the same size regardless of whether the screen is 2560x1600 or 1280x800. The difference is on the higher res panel a given icon or letter can have 4 times as many pixels devoted to making it look pretty/sharp.

Last edited:

Izi

Izi

Soldato
You probably need to start thinking about resolution in a different way.

In the past operating systems effectively assumed a fixed number of PPI (Pixels Per Inch). Add more pixels and you add more screen real estate. Make those pixels physically smaller or larger and what can be seen gets smaller or larger. There were some adjustments for changing PPI but at least with windows they messed things up with for example menu text not lining up properly.

Now take a modern Android tablet. The question is what physical size should the UI elements, icons, text etc be to provide the best experience.

On a 10" screen everything should physically be the same size regardless of whether the screen is 2560x1600 or 1280x800. The difference is on the higher res panel a given icon or letter can have 4 times as many pixels devoted to making it look pretty/sharp.

OK thanks, I think this kind of answers my question. By getting a higher DPI you only gain sharpness.

Associate
"Effective resolution" sounds like a silly buzzword to me. I know exactly what you're trying too say though, to accommodate for the higher ppi either they upscale the image or provide a larger image so that over the larger resolution on the same sized screen, the image will visually be the same size, just sharper.

Soldato
OK thanks, I think this kind of answers my question. By getting a higher DPI you only gain sharpness.

Its a higher PPI - DPI is the scaling of what's on the screen.

And yes you only gain sharpness when going to a higher res screen. But sharpness is what delivers most of the eye candy :)

Soldato

What else were you expecting, I really am struggling to understand why you describe that as only. Increased pixels per inch is pretty much the point of most high res screens. Increased real estate isn't necessary especially on tablets due to the fullscreen nature of applications.

Like someone said earlier the same would happen if you compared an Ipad 4 with an Ipad 2. No discernible difference in the real estate of the iOS ui but a definite difference in the sharpness and clarity.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Does anyone else get a lot of static noise if using headphones and charging at the same time?

The static is quiet but it's noticeable. Can hear it constantly even if their is no sound playing.
The static disappears when I take it off charge.

Is this normal or have I got a faulty unit.

Soldato
Does anyone else get a lot of static noise if using headphones and charging at the same time?

The static is quiet but it's noticeable. Can hear it constantly even if their is no sound playing.
The static disappears when I take it off charge.

Is this normal or have I got a faulty unit.

I notice this as well. I'm assuming maybe it's because the charge port is so close to the headphone jack... I usually have it unplugged when I'm using it though so doesn't bother me that much.

Associate
EDIT*

Suffering from backlight bleed and need another unit!

Is there any other method of getting a replacement other than calling their only telephone number which is US?

Looking online seems to be that a lot of units suffer this and a lot worse than mine :'( may just put up with it hmmm

I did not notice any static with headphones when charging/not charging.

I tried it twice and none, just the default psht when I switch to an app as if to say audio is now enabled if thats what you mean?

But I could listen to music while charging so not a prob.

However: my unit has backlight bleed in the corners so will be returning :'(

Knew I shouldnt have waited this long to test, shame its just been so busy! :mad:

Last edited:
Permabanned
I notice this as well. I'm assuming maybe it's because the charge port is so close to the headphone jack... I usually have it unplugged when I'm using it though so doesn't bother me that much.

Thats what I thought. Glad it's not just me. :)
I hardly ever use headphones while charging either so i'll just put with it.

Associate
Just an update on delivery times. I ordered mine on Sunday evening (32GB), and despite numerous contact with google support, the earliest i'll be getting mine is 12/12/12. Disappointed really :S

Back
Top Bottom