Job offer withdrawal based on nationality...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
A friend interviewed for a job which went very well, they were offered the position but soon after, they were informed that they could not be employed due to their nationality.

Information about their nationality was not withheld in any way. Companies are allowed to withdraw job offers of course but is nationality a viable reason, especially after the offer was made?

Chalk this one down to the company being unprofessional and move on or make a complaint? Bear in mind the employer is one of the worlds leading petroleum companies and the position is a scientific one.

Caporegime
Chalk this one down to the company being unprofessional and move on or make a complaint? Bear in mind the employer is one of the worlds leading petroleum companies and the position is a scientific one.
It could well be in a country that has stricter nationality rules for a petroleum company.

Soldato
Depends on the company/industry and nationality I suppose.

It might just be a national security thing?

If it's just a regular office job with a small firm and they've just noticed he's from durkadurkastan, that's a bit different to say a company working in nuclear defence that may restrict foreign nationals.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The job is based in the UK but they would be employed by the US division of the company. They were told informed after the job offer was made that in fact the company could not employ people of their nationality. I'd rather not mention the company and nation in question.

Soldato
The job is based in the UK but they would be employed by the US division of the company. They were told informed after the job offer was made that in fact the company could not employ people of their nationality. I'd rather not mention the company and nation in question.

Well what harm will mentioning the nation of the person do?

If that was me, I'd look at their policy on discrimination and write a letter to the chairman.

Associate
OP
Well tbh, then what is the point of this thread except to speculate randomly on insane number of possibilities.

The point is to determine if anyone else may have experience something like this, without it having to be the same company or nation, and if they had any advice.

Associate
OP
Well what harm will mentioning the nation of the person do?

If that was me, I'd look at their policy on discrimination and write a letter to the chairman.

Perhaps none but I would still rather not mention them, thank you for the advice though.

Soldato
There are always political considerations. For example, if he was Israeli that would essentially stop him from entering most Arab countries, which could certainly be an issue for an oil company. It's out of their hands of course, but they would be foolish to employ an Israeli for a position that required work in Arab countries.

... I have a stamp in my passport from visiting Israel (on business). That alone bars me from entering a few countries.

Soldato
Well it depends on what the role is doesn't it.

Taken at face value if someone is employed to work in this country then I would find it hard to think that exclusion on nationality would be acceptable in a normal job.

However, there are multiple exclusions to this rule and I would wager that your friend would fall under these exclusions in whatever scientific capacity they would have been employed in. A large company would have a HR department that would have advised them about this move and I suspect they checked the legality of it. Doesn't mean that something is not afoot but the chances of it are quite small I would say.

Soldato
Perhaps none but I would still rather not mention them, thank you for the advice though.

OK well

1) Send a complaint that will be put into a shredder without being opened, if you are lucky you might get a letter/email exactly the same as the previous one.

2) Life is tough.

That is the advice, the rest will be jokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom