Opportunity to buy VW Golf Mk6

Soldato
Good economical engines, dpf's are a pain though. You won't beat anything off the lights, but I suppose your not out to do that in this sort of car.

Mileage high enough to justify a diesel?

DcD

DcD

Associate
OP
Good economical engines, dpf's are a pain though. You won't beat anything off the lights, but I suppose your not out to do that in this sort of car.

Mileage high enough to justify a diesel?

Will be doing ~4k a year just for work, add on another few thousand for long trips to see family and general commuting outside of work.

7k a year? Is that a justifiable reason for diesel? My current petrol car gets about 30-35mpg on a good day! The VW Golf is apparently 45 urban and 55 combined.

Associate
The worst thing (so I've been told) with most diesel engines is if you do lots of short trips and don't allow the engine to warm up. How far is your commute to work each way?

Soldato
The worst thing (so I've been told) with most diesel engines is if you do lots of short trips and don't allow the engine to warm up. How far is your commute to work each way?

It's not that the engine won't warm up, which of course it will, it's getting the dpf hot enough to cycle the carbon crud inside it.

Man of Honour
Will be doing ~4k a year just for work, add on another few thousand for long trips to see family and general commuting outside of work.

7k a year? Is that a justifiable reason for diesel? My current petrol car gets about 30-35mpg on a good day! The VW Golf is apparently 45 urban and 55 combined.

No, 7k a year is not high enough mileage to justify a diesel - over a 35mpg petrol you will save hardly any money on fuel.

However it's still a good deal - it makes sense becuase of its price not becuase its a diesel.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;23263681 said:
No, 7k a year is not high enough mileage to justify a diesel - over a 35mpg petrol you will save hardly any money on fuel.

However it's still a good deal - it makes sense becuase of its price not becuase its a diesel.

This.

The diesel premium isn't effecting this purchase, so there is no increased purchase price to negate with high mileage diesel savings.

If you are just after a car, like the vast majority of people are, then this makes a good deal of sense.
Own it two years sell it on for virtually what you paid for it, bonanza!

Man of Honour
I have a 2009 mk6 but a GTI. It's a nice place to be for a daily car and the handling is much better than the previous generation. That engine wont set the world on fire. But at the price it seems worth buying, own it 2 years and flip it for cheap motoring. It will still be high mileage by then at approx 75k though. But seems worth a punt.

Personally I couldnt live with a small engined diesel for two years but if you're ok with that then it seems to make sense.

Soldato
You won't get 45mpg urban. I had one as a hire car and got low-mid 30s. It isn't anywhere near as economical as Ford's 1.6 TDCI.

Nice cars though, the mk6 Golf is a huge step up from the mk5 and that's a very good price.

Associate
I would jump at this, personally. My mum has the same deal, and I nearly jumped at buying her 1.5 Swift for £3300. 3 years old, less than 30k miles, everything serviced on time, full MOT, etc. etc. In the end I didn't buy it even though it was a cracking deal, but that's because I preferred the car I had.

You still might want to watch out for the DPF though at the mileage you've listed. However, according to VW, since they switched to Common Rail, the diesel output itself is much cleaner anyway so it may not be a problem. If you run it for a long distance every now and then I wouldn't expect a problem either way.

Man of Honour
You won't get 45mpg urban. I had one as a hire car and got low-mid 30s. It isn't anywhere near as economical as Ford's 1.6 TDCI.

Nice cars though, the mk6 Golf is a huge step up from the mk5 and that's a very good price.

From my own experiences I wouldn't use a hire car as an indication of anything heh most of them have been run pretty hard and not maintained the best. That said around 35mpg urban is probably more realistic.

Associate
Just FYI for everyone - the Golf Plus is a C-Max style vehicle, not a hatch as people are commenting on.

I would snap that up! I did the same a few years ago on a Leon FR.

I got the car for £2.5k under book and made money on it as a part ex when I bought a new car 2 years later.

Not often you get good deals when it comes to cars!

Back
Top Bottom