Perks of the job

Associate
Current job; nothing.

Last job was better with option to purchase returned electronic goods from a large online retailer and access to a huge DVD/Blu-ray collection.

Associate
35 days annual leave, also work flexitime so I can take up to another 51 days a year. Mileage paid well, office opens at 7 and closes at 8pm so I can work silly hours if I want to.
Downside - no pay rises much, no bonus. And I work ten times harder than my boss, but get paid half his salary. Par for the course I suppose.

Soldato
Last Job:
Depression
Alcoholism
Redundancy
6 months job hunting

the grass is occasionally greener on the other side......

Current Job:
25 days holiday
Pension contributions
Medical
Dental
Life Insurance
Car allowance
International travel (mostly Europe but occasional US and other parts of the world, couple of months back I got paid to spend the day playing with baby lions in a safari park in SA)
Share Options
25% Bonus though up to 40% possible
Laptop
Tablet
Smart Phone
Work from home when I want (unless I need to be on customer site)
Free tea/coffee/cans in the office
Probably more that I can't think of at the moment

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Hmm, I've not been here a full year yet and more opens up after 2 years, then 5 years but...

- 35 days leave.
- 75% off train tickets via South West Trains but only if departing from my home location.
- Various discounts with insurance and retail discounts (Costa, other shops etc).
- 5% payrise each year (although this is mainly thanks to the union, no need to be a member either).
- 08:30 to 16:00 working hours :D
- Final salary pension.
- Healthcare but I've not looked into that yet as it only applies after the first year.

Associate
In a previous life I had some pretty damn good perks.

At the age of 18 I worked for a classic car trader, I had such perks as..

- Company Car(s) Almost anything that was on the lot, for sale or not I could use as my personal car if I pleased.

-Free accommodation.

-Food, Clothing and all Fuel expenses covered no questions asked, one time I had to buy some clothes for an event at very short notice. The event was one week long and I got (£1000) to spend on clothes and clothes alone.

A benefit that wasn't an actual benefit was that due to the nature of the work, quite often opportunities arose where I could make a bit of Cash on the side in underhand dealings, by this I mean anything from £100-£2000+ depending on what the certain deal was, this happened quite often and I probably made more money from this than I got paid which in itself was very good.

After working in a Supermarket and on a Farm beforehand and then being thrown into this world where money almost held no value it Changed my perspective on things. Greed is an awful thing, now I'm working in a Supermarket again, being paid at the Minimum wage.

I think money can quite easily corrupt Good Honest people given the right circumstances, after going from one end of the scale to the complete other I have no regrets about removing myself from an environment where money represents very little of its true value.

Associate
I have a friend who works for the fishing enforcement people, whatever they are called. Drives a 406 Peugeot and they are never welcome around harbours. (The people, not the cars!)
Fairly often she goes to check their catch, it's too much/too small fish/whatever, and has to write them up.
Then she goes back to her car - it's in the same place, still locked, but there is a fat brown envelope on the seat, full of money.
Like a good girl she hands it in to her boss, writes THAT up, and never touches a penny of it.
If it were me? I'd take it quite happily, bribery is all part of the fishing business - but there are probably cameras in the car park so she won't risk it.
But for a nice fat grand, if I were in her job - catch what you want, boys, keep the envelopes flowing. I wouldn't even lock the car!

Soldato
We get free tea, fresh coffee, fresh orange juice, every year we also get a decent Christmas bonus, Christmas party with free food and drink, summer party with free food and drink and a team outing. Oh and a few perks that we have arranged with local companies such as cheap gym membership. And also a free massage every so often. We also used to get really good food for very cheap from our own chef but that got cancelled when we moved to a bigger building so now just have a canteen sadly Although we did gain a table tennis table. We also get our holidays increased every year by one day for the first few years, I have maxed this out now though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Perks of my job:

• 10% off in store.
  • Excellent pension scheme.
  • Discounted rates of dental cover and private medical insurance.
  • After a years service you're awarded free shares (10% your annual wage) which are held in trust for five years then you can take them tax free.
  • A really good save as you earn scheme with the final option to either get a tax free bonus at the end of the term or purchase company shares at 20% less market value.
  • We're also given a financial bonus at Christmas (to spend in store)
  • A free Christmas dinner along with many other discounts throughout the year.

Associate
Perks of this current job:

Pros

1) No fuel to pay (Fuel card)
2) Company car, we have 160 cars in the car park at the HQ that can be used so if you fancy a car just pick up the keys and sign for it.
3) Fantastic pension (Gold plated)
4) Christmas bash is fantastic - usually we go abroad for our party. (Last year we went to Prague)
5) Unlimited days of work - no show, no pay. Very flexible working hours:D
6) Fully subsidized canteen at HQ
7) IT equipment for personal use - Just request and forward PO to manager
8) Excellent IT work equipment - everything is usually state of the art, servers are all state of the art (just finished new server migration project)
9) If you commute to work by public transport they will pay the tickets etc - no loans to pay for season tickets etc
10) Excellent management team - no bull**** approach, no back stabbing, everything is very informal - Dress down days (usually every Friday we can wear jeans unless visiting clients)
11) Free nursery (saves me 950 pounds a week!)
12) Free shares
13) Multinational company, loads of opportunities for working abroad if you get fed up of London lifestyle/living
14) Excellent bonus
15) Dry cleaning is free - Just supply receipt etc
16) Clothing allowances for suits and shoes etc - just provide receipt for the stuff
17) Bupa private health care with dental and life insurance added on top
18) Final salary pension

Negatives:

1) Very long working hours - usually when off site, stay on clients site until the job is complete. :mad:
2) London as location for HQ :(
3) Can't work from home - have to be in office or at clients site (physically)
4) Commuting - International company, can be exhausting to travel half way around the world and expecting to pull 16-20 hours of work in one shot.
5) Hotels - absolutely hate them, usually four/five star hotels but I don't like them.

Caporegime
Up to 3% of annual salary as bonus in February depending on market conditions and company performance.
Employer matched pension contribution.
Season ticket loan available
20 days holiday increases by 1 per year up to 25 days.
Blackberry 8520 and unlimited usage

Crap benefits to be honest. The law firms where I am based permanently give their internal staff a long list of benefits, gym membership, private healthcare and so on. Very nice when they all go to gym at lunch and get 35 days leave a year and big bonus while we are lucky to get paid sick leave. My HR even gave me issues about claiming a free eye test.
Which law firm out of interest?

Soldato
Work 6.5 hours a day (8 - 4 with 3 breaks)
25 days annual increasing to 29 after 3 years (1 more year for me)
Free private medical
Employer matched pension
xmas bonus
good expenses and top hotels when working away
good office and general working conditions
various discounts with places like TMlewin, Pure gym etc

Soldato
The current perks for me as a Cadet are that my sponsoring company meets all my training costs, and while I'm at college it pays me a £175 a week training allowance, plus travel expenses.

When I qualify in roughly September/October next year, then as long as I'm working at sea and spend longer than 180 days a year outside the UK (that's including holidays), then I don't pay income tax, which should help me build up a good sized deposit for a house or flat rather quickly.

Last edited:
Soldato
Perks;

230 days off a year
26 days in work, some guy wants my autograph once a fortnight.
£104 into my bank account after said person gets my autograph, its worth a lot.
Xbox
Pizza
Sleep

Back
Top Bottom