Assassins Creed 3?

Soldato
I keep playing this game as I feel I have to get my money's worth but I've just got to submit to the fact that it's not going to get any better. I switch the PS3 on for a wee while everyday and have a go but end up switching it off because the game bores me. I'll finish it and play the first Assassin's Creed again to help get rid of the sour taste that this piece of guff has left in my mouth :(

Soldato
OP
finished the story a little earlier, in short really enjoyed it, miles better than ACR but not as good as AC2 (40hrs played and not touched the MP yet, is pretty good value imo)

Some of the story missions were the weakest points for me, run here and do an insignificant task, run there and have a pointless conversation, but the general gameplay was just as good as any of the previous games just wish they had done more with the frontier as after you have fount the sync points their really wasn't much left to do other than hunt and set up the homestead.

Ezio was always going to be a hard character to follow up, and for the most-part I thought Connor was pretty decent although whether it was down to the dialogue or the acting he did seem a little dull and passionless considering what was happening around him.

Anyway, glad i played it, and certainly got my moneys worth. Wish their wasn't another one coming out next year as I think the series could do with a break for a couple of years, but i may have changed my mind come next October.

Hooray Desmond is dead!! tfft

Last edited:
Associate
Got bored of the game 8 hours in, so traded it in and youtube'd the ending.

Saved myself so much time, considering that the ending boiled down to nonsense that I'm sure they'll drag out for the next AC game.

Soldato
Finished the game today, so think I can give a better opinion of it now. I'll keep any story spoiler stuff under a spoiler tag.

Overall I'd say its a far better game than Revelations was, the main story involving the rulers of Constantinople in that game was poorly fleshed out. The main game city was also quite boring.

AC3 certainly brings in a new element with the Frontier, but its really not as ground breaking and new as was made out before release. Somebody asked me how the game was and I could only really answer that it was Assassin's Creed, if you liked the others, its basically more of the same.

I found bugs became less noticeable as the game went on, possibly because there was also a patch, but a couple still stuck out as pretty poor. One would be guards attacking you for running, even when incognito. The other was that during Desmond sections, his shirt passes through his backpack, I don't know how that one was allowed to slip!

The game overall felt easier than previous incarnations. The new countering mechanic makes it easy to stop an attack, but it is quite satisfying, especially when you get a combo sequence where a load of kills are chained together. What did seem to be missing which had been quite prevalent ever since AC2 was 'climbing puzzles' whereby you had to figure the correct way up something, often viewpoints. Perhaps one reason though was simply that AC3 overall is a much more grounded game and certainly doesn't have any large towers like in the other games.

I do agree with a lot of Lunarwolf's comments. The control scheme for example was not very well implemented. Having to hold a button to bring up the menu to choose weapons was annoying. Why were there only 4 hotkeys? It would have been a lot easier if I could have set more than that. What I found most annoying is it seemed like a step backwards from Revelations where you brought up a weapons wheel which had everything during play. Perhaps this though highlights how they had different teams working on the games.

I also agree that there is a lot of guff in the game...

Again you get Assassins that you can recruit and train up with loads of fancy new moves, but in comparison to previous games, I barely ever needed to use them. Weapons also didn't seem like they had much distinction compared to previous games, it was more a case of just choosing which you thought looked best from each class.

Trading and Crafting was utterly pointless and the menu systems were a chore. I can see why they wanted to give a bit more of a feel to what you were doing, compared to just restoring towns, but this was all just a waste of time. I also thought the special inventions had some purpose, but they didn't.

I think Connor as a character grew on me a little, but he was still no match for Ezio who had a great story and personality. I'm not really sure that Native Americans actually featured as heavily in the game as I thought they would. I felt that a lot of the parts with Native American dialogue felt very wooden with the voice acting. I'm not familiar enough with such dialogue as to know whether thats just how its spoken, but it felt like there was not much effort in it. I'm not so sure I was so keen on the dialogue not being in English, given that the previous games the only Italian we heard for example was when Ezio gave his last rights after killing somebody. I can sort of see why they did it to have them speak the proper language, but I think for me it just lacked the emotion that you can understand more when its in English.

I've got to agree about the credits as well though!
I work in the film industry and not everyone who works on a major film will get a credit, plus they have to be a certain length because they longer they are, the more they cost in terms of film/data. With games they don't have that problem, so they just seem to go overboard and list every single person down to the last person to make tea and the names of all the babies that were born during the making of it. It does show how huge the game is with so many global teams working on it, must be difficult to manage it all.

I enjoyed the twist at the start with Haytham, as I didn't see that coming and it really does help flesh out the bad guys. I felt that perhaps the payoff against Lee and Haytham though in the end wasn't as good as I had hoped.

Inregards to the main Desmond storyline, it all felt like it was over extremely quickly at the end. It certainly wasn't quite as epic as the build up at the end of Revelations was. Instead it appears that Desmond saved the world, but we didn't really get to see that happen, it was just a tv station voice over, bit of a cop out.

I suppose the two big questions now are whether Demond is really dead. A lot of what I'm reading seems to suggest that despite him really being the real protagonist of all the games (though it never really feels like it) Ubisoft have kind of ended that story arc, so he may really be dead. He never got enough time to really establish himself as a character we really like such as Altair/Ezio/Connor. Ubisoft have even commented that they got rid of Lucy simply because they thought she had for-filled the need for her character, so they might have done the same with Desmond to start fresh.

The second question is where the story goes now. I would assume its going to be about stopping Juno now that she is likely to become all powerful. Regardless of whether Desmond is alive or not, ultimately we are going to have to delve back into somebodies ancestry. My only thoughts so far is that since we are now dealing largely with quarrelling Roman Goddesses who are bent on taking over the world, is that perhaps we will go back in time to during the times of the Greeks and Trojans. Its another area with a lot of history and fantasy, I wonder if the character of Achilles was also a little nod to that perhaps.

Speaking of Achilles as a character, he felt like he had a lot more to him that was never revealed. There is the painting that he wanted retrieved but couldn't bare to look at. We see graves of the former owners of the house with one also named Connor and there is the fact that, while it was something they didn't press on too heavily, he was black, during a time when even the Patriots kept slaves. I've got a feeling that the only reason so much about him wasn't revealed is because its probably going to be DLC.

kdd

kdd

Soldato
Tried to play this pile of junk again now the patch is out, the particularly dramatic atmosphere of one cut scene was disrupted by an npc walking off a roof then getting stuck in the guttering and bouncing up and down with rubber legs and arms, had to lol.

Soldato
I'm about 10% into this and not enjoying it at all. I've played all of them and brotherhood is the best. I've just been playing a level where I'm a small boy and I have to jump through some trees. There's no logic to the level at all. It's like filling in a foreign cross-word with someone telling you if you got it right. Strange.

Back
Top Bottom