MSN vs Skype vs ???

Permabanned
So... Microsoft is killing off MSN(Live) Messenger soon, and they want us all to use Skype instead.

I don't particularly want to use Skype, it has annoying adverts.

So... what are people doing? I'd imagine there's a fair few using Skype already, and some who'll just switch over - I'm interested in other suggestions.

Soldato
My workplace have recently switched over to Skype due to msn (which we use currently) stopping. I don't really like the appearance though; too much going on. I prefer the minimal look that pidgin has.

I quite often use Pidgin instead as msn had a habbit of crashing. Not sure if this still work with my hotmail address when msn stops

Soldato
I don't particularly want to use Skype, it has annoying adverts.

Thing is, Skype is the best. More research has been put into Skype than any other IM software, and it shows. I've tried several other IM offerings from companies such as ooVoo, Logitech et al., and Skype comes out on top every time. It simply has the best 'under the hood' algorithms for dealing with things which impact internet protocol such as packet loss, latency, and low bandwidth.

Also, I've never seen any adverts in Skype.

So... Microsoft is killing off MSN(Live) Messenger soon, and they want us all to use Skype instead.
They want home users to use Skype and corporate users to switch to Microsoft Lync.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom