Soundproofing in a rented house?

Soldato
Will first need details on the rented accommodation, does the ceiling and floor need to be weighted as well ? do you know what kind of wall it has ?
IF its all bricked or concreted, you probably wont have to worry at all. Infact, it will all start off by finding what your neighbours can hear with the current set up.
Maybe there is a shared ducting (air duct) which joins that rooms which might be more of a concern.

Anyway, see if you can be friends with your next doors to see what they can actually hear and where from :)

Associate
Will first need details on the rented accommodation, does the ceiling and floor need to be weighted as well ? do you know what kind of wall it has ?
IF its all bricked or concreted, you probably wont have to worry at all. Infact, it will all start off by finding what your neighbours can hear with the current set up.
Maybe there is a shared ducting (air duct) which joins that rooms which might be more of a concern.

Anyway, see if you can be friends with your next doors to see what they can actually hear and where from :)

You sound like my ideal nightmare neighbour.

Push them to the limit and wait for them to complain.

Permabanned
OP

Ceiling not so much. Floor is carpeted, so can't really do much with that. Wall between houses is concrete, however wall to my housemate's room is stud. I need to get those walls sorted primarily.

The room itself is pretty small, so even with the speakers set to low my housemate can hear everything, so I would assume that the neighbours can hear stuff too.

I tried talking to the neighbours when we moved in, however they weren't interested, gave me a dirty look when I said that students are moving in for a year next door :(

Permabanned
OP
You sound like my ideal nightmare neighbour.

Push them to the limit and wait for them to complain.

Again, you've spectacularly missed the point.

As in what they can hear so far. I've not been overdoing it, we haven't had any noise complaints, I'm just worried that due to me now spending a lot more time in the studio that I'll be causing an issue for next door.

He's being especially considerate if anything, christ.

Associate
I tried talking to the neighbours when we moved in, however they weren't interested, gave me a dirty look when I said that students are moving in for a year next door :(

Oh come on - can you really blame them? Playing host to your student whims wouldn't delight me either.

Soldato
Use headphones?

I applaud your neighbourly concern.

Neighbour noise used to be a pet hate of mine.

I need to get clear reproduction, can't get that with the sort of headphones I can afford.

So there are headphones that you can use then, clearly.

It will be infinitely cheaper and easier just to splash out on the headphones that give you clear reproduction. There is no cheap and effective way of 'sound proofing'.

Soldato
egg cartons lol nothing BEATS that...

I can send you some but not able to EGGSaxctly tell you how much the postage would be lol

Permabanned
OP
So there are headphones that you can use then, clearly.

It will be infinitely cheaper and easier just to splash out on the headphones that give you clear reproduction. There is no cheap and effective way of 'sound proofing'.

I need the soundproofing for mixing more so than producing, it's rather hard to beatmatch when you can't hear the incoming track :)

There's no way to properly sound proof a room like that from neighbours.. esp while playing loud music at night when everyone else will be quiet.. not worth the hassle.

Only solution is expensive - a room in a room. Even this isn't 100% effective.

http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipme...al-recording-booth-passive-ventilation--52997

It's not even loud, I just want to make sure that I don't annoy the neighbours. However due to Uni and other commitments, I'm usually producing well into the night.

egg cartons lol nothing BEATS that...

I can send you some but not able to EGGSaxctly tell you how much the postage would be lol

Here's your coat, that was such a terrible yolk :p

Soldato
I don't think you stand much chance of making a meaningful difference. Just be considerate (like it sounds you are). You're a student so do it during the day instead of sleeping (;)), they'll more than likely be at work I guess.

Associate
I did Audio Tech at uni and when I mixed at home I did it in the afternoon after agreeing with the neighbours, basically when they were out. If the neighbours aren't on board it just won't work.

Permabanned
OP
I think the actual answer is it just can't be done. you will have to live with headphones.

As I said, with mixing using headphones is an issue.

lol

you can beat an egg, but you can't beat a.... lol

SHELL IT FROM ORBIT!

I don't think you stand much chance of making a meaningful difference. Just be considerate (like it sounds you are). You're a student so do it during the day instead of sleeping (;)), they'll more than likely be at work I guess.

Haha :D

I don't sleep that late, it's more a case of a lot of commitments :)

Associate
I did Audio Tech at uni and when I mixed at home I did it in the afternoon after agreeing with the neighbours, basically when they were out. If the neighbours aren't on board it just won't work.

So what stops you bouncing all audio to just one set of cans?

Back
Top Bottom