Getting water marks off of granite tops

Soldato
I've recently moved into a new home and i'm a bit hesitant to use anything on my new granite counter tops, in case it wrecks them!

I've bought some "method" stuff, but that looks like it's only really for bringing out a shine (assuming the surface is already clean!)

I've looked at the stuff I use for the bathroom (Viakal etc) and they say you couldn't use it on porous stones... so I guess that rules granite out? (Even though it's polished?!)

Anyway, i'd appreciate any tips before I trash them :D

Man of Honour
Yep granite is porous. When we had granite we just made sure we wiped up any spills as we went along. It's also the reason we just installed a quarts worktop in the current house (still porous but less so than granite).

Soldato
OP
Hmm these water marks have been left for ages now, hope it hasn't caused permanent damage :(

Also, i left an empty cup of water next to the sink (literally water, nothing acidic like Coke etc) and it's left a ring mark! I'm hoping whatever cleaner I use, will get rid of that as well -.-

Soldato
I use Method on our Granite, it's a great daily cleaner but your right in saying it's not going to bring out water marks.
Definitely don't use anything harsh like Viakal or also anything acidic on granite it could potentially ruin it.
We don't really suffer from water marks as our granite is light, a friend of mine has black granite and uses something like Astonish cream marble cleaner and it brings his up a treat, bought from a local bargain store for a couple of quid.

Soldato
If its absorbing water, its not sealed. It it were sealed water would just bead on it. The bigger issue is oils, you can not get oils out.

Permabanned
This is easy,
Get some limescale remover and go over the marks with it.

I've been doing this for years and not seen any ill effects, granite is pretty resilient.

You can mess with special granite cleaners and polishers all you want, I've already tried most of them, they are not noticeabley different from any generic cleaner and simple wax polish.
Sealing the surface is a good idea though.

Soldato
OP
If its absorbing water, its not sealed. It it were sealed water would just bead on it. The bigger issue is oils, you can not get oils out.

I don't think it's absorbed the water, it's just limescale marks left from where i've left water on the surface.

Back
Top Bottom