Train Ticket did not get stamped, can I use it again?

Man of Honour
You don't technically buy a ticket, you buy a journey and your ticket is proof that you have paid the correct fare for the journey involved.

You've now completed your journey so your ticket is invalid - it has been used.

Of course there is no proof you've completed your journey, but you can re-use it in the same way that you can sneak into the cinema and watch Skyfall for free if nobody notices or you can phone your insurance company and pretend you lost your ipad. ie, fraudulently.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;23292480 said:
You don't technically buy a ticket, you buy a journey and your ticket is proof that you have paid the correct fare for the journey involved.

You've now completed your journey so your ticket is invalid - it has been used.

Of course there is no proof you've completed your journey, but you can re-use it in the same way that you can sneak into the cinema and watch Skyfall for free if nobody notices or you can phone your insurance company and pretend you lost your ipad. ie, fraudulently.

To summarise - Fox says its fine.

:p:D

Soldato
[TW]Fox;23292480 said:

Untrue because any other proof like a debit card reciept is invalid. The ticket is required to travel.

Not saying that it's still technically legit to use the ticket, just saying :p

Man of Honour
Practically speaking though you'll probably find it more or less pointless to re-use anyway as its highly likely the Offpeak Single you'd need to get from A to B in order to then re-use the return portion of your earlier ticket from B to A is probably only about 5-10p less than buying a new Offpeak Return anyway.

What you do is of course entirely your choice, I just felt it prudent to point out the legal position :p

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
[TW]Fox;23292480 said:
Of course there is no proof you've completed your journey

If you've put the ticket through the barriers at the start of your journey it's probably marked on the magstrip that you've already used it.

Soldato
If you've put the ticket through the barriers at the start of your journey it's probably marked on the magstrip that you've already used it.

I've tried this out before, and it won't work in the automatic barriers but they often don't work for loads of reasons. If you show it to a guard, he'll just take it and let you on your way. There isn't a special icon that comes up to show you're trying to reuse a ticket.

Man of Honour
[TW]Fox;23292480 said:

It is extremely ironic that your desire to be extraordinarily pedantic frequently fuels me to be more like you.

:p

Man of Honour
It is extremely ironic that your desire to be extraordinarily pedantic frequently fuels me to be more like you.

:p

People seemed to be implying that it was actually allowed - what he choses to do himself is entirely his decision, just wanted to clarify what the legal position was.

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;23292961 said:
So how would you get back to Manchester Pic?

Well a single there is £11

So I'd buy a single and on the way back just show them the return. They don't need to see the whole 2 part return anyway.

Actually I've saved £15 if I do that.

Then I've got £21 to spend on a journey at some point since I got that back off my delayed train from London Kings Cross.

Man of Honour
Where are you travelling from? Selby?

An Offpeak Single is only £2.70 less than an Offpeak Return, so unless you buy an Advance then you are only 'saving' £2.70.

But you are not 'saving' really, you are simply not paying for your journey but using an unstamped ticket to give the impression you are. I'm sure you know who ends up 'paying' for ticketless travel - everyone.

I'm trying not to be 'holier than thou' - at the end of the day your actions are your choice - but I think its only fair to point out that it's fare evasion :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yes but as I implied thats an Advance, valid on the booked train only. Which is fair enough if you were booking it this evening but if you were going to turn up at the station on the day the Offpeak Single is £24 (The £24.10 return is a DAY return, not the ticket you hold).

You could always just... buy a ticket for the journeys you wish to make? It's only £22 return if you go for two Advance tickets!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom