***The Official LG Nexus 4 Thread***

Associate
Bah humbug. Finally got through to O2 to see if they could pricematch the £26pm Orange deal, and they can't, they still want £90 upfront for the handset too, making it £714 total over 2 years for the N4, unlimited mins and texts, and 2Gb data. Worth going for, or should I hold off?

Hold off!

See what happens on Dec 13th as Three are going to be offering it as well so they may have some competitive deals or failing that, there might be some stock from Google.

Soldato
Shame. You can get one for only £150 :p and they're ramping up the deals for it. I think Amex are throwing money at marketing for a younger market with the amount of tech-savvy deals they're doing at the moment.

The Xbox thing for example, you get £10 just for syncing your card. You then instantly get £25 off £50 at CPW, £25 off £50 at Topman and £10 off £10 at Cineworld.

You also get paid for playing Halo. £25 credit for completing the single player campaign, £25 off £50 spend at Currys for doing a coop mission, and a few others.

Because of the £10 credit just for syncing I bought 4x 3 month Xbox Live codes on the bay for £10 each to make another 4 accounts on my console to sync my other cards to. Hence the 5x £25 discount!

Long-winded but I'll taking advantage of the Currys deal too. Plus I could technically get paid £125 if I can be bothered to complete Halo 5 times :p

well hats off sir, i did two deals like that and got free flights to USA and back. it was long winded, but the end of the day its worth it.

fair play

Caporegime
Shame. You can get one for only £150 :p and they're ramping up the deals for it. I think Amex are throwing money at marketing for a younger market with the amount of tech-savvy deals they're doing at the moment.

The Xbox thing for example, you get £10 just for syncing your card. You then instantly get £25 off £50 at CPW, £25 off £50 at Topman and £10 off £10 at Cineworld.

You also get paid for playing Halo. £25 credit for completing the single player campaign, £25 off £50 spend at Currys for doing a coop mission, and a few others.

Because of the £10 credit just for syncing I bought 4x 3 month Xbox Live codes on the bay for £10 each to make another 4 accounts on my console to sync my other cards to. Hence the 5x £25 discount!

Long-winded but I'll taking advantage of the Currys deal too. Plus I could technically get paid £125 if I can be bothered to complete Halo 5 times :p

Does the credit go on your AMEX card? Also what sort of AMEX card is eligible Corporate ones or consumer ones or both?

If all I have to do is find someone with an xbox I trust with my card, it can't be that hard. I'm a bit confused how you made your 5 separate cards pay for the 1 item though?

Edit: smallprint "You must be 18 years of age or older and be a valid holder of an Eligible Card registered with the Programme. An “Eligible Card” is a valid American Express card issued in the UK by American Express Services Europe Limited or a licensed third party issuer of cards on the American Express Network (“Licensed Issuer”) but excluding prepaid cards, gift cards and corporate cards."

rp2000

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I got bored of waiting for stock hence getting it from CPW. I've spent £100 on much worse and my iPhone 4S should sell and recoup most of the outlay.

Associate
Bah humbug. Finally got through to O2 to see if they could pricematch the £26pm Orange deal, and they can't, they still want £90 upfront for the handset too, making it £714 total over 2 years for the N4, unlimited mins and texts, and 2Gb data. Worth going for, or should I hold off?

Why not do the orange deal?

Associate
Why not do the orange deal?

Mainly because I'm not certain whether that's good or not either - less minutes, less internet, but also £90 less, plus I get a £45 penalty on my O2 broadband for not having an O2 phone (or rather, I lose the £5pm discount I otherwise get for the next 9 months) and O2 customer service have always been fantastic to me, while Orange seem to have a rather patchy reputation in that regard.

Really, the fact that it'd be £612 to buy the handset from Google and run the GiffGaff unlimited internet tariff for 2 years (inc the internet 'penalty') is what's stopping me from buying anything else. I'm very tempted to say 'Screw it, go for the O2 deal!' though. I pushed them pretty hard for that, and I won't get any better from them direct.

Associate
Mainly because I'm not certain whether that's good or not either - less minutes, less internet, but also £90 less, plus I get a £45 penalty on my O2 broadband for not having an O2 phone (or rather, I lose the £5pm discount I otherwise get for the next 9 months) and O2 customer service have always been fantastic to me, while Orange seem to have a rather patchy reputation in that regard.

Really, the fact that it'd be £612 to buy the handset from Google and run the GiffGaff unlimited internet tariff for 2 years (inc the internet 'penalty') is what's stopping me from buying anything else. I'm very tempted to say 'Screw it, go for the O2 deal!' though. I pushed them pretty hard for that, and I won't get any better from them direct.

Does the phone come with no network branding? Thats the only thing putting me off at the moment.

Soldato
Does the credit go on your AMEX card? Also what sort of AMEX card is eligible Corporate ones or consumer ones or both?

If all I have to do is find someone with an xbox I trust with my card, it can't be that hard. I'm a bit confused how you made your 5 separate cards pay for the 1 item though?

Edit: smallprint "You must be 18 years of age or older and be a valid holder of an Eligible Card registered with the Programme. An “Eligible Card” is a valid American Express card issued in the UK by American Express Services Europe Limited or a licensed third party issuer of cards on the American Express Network (“Licensed Issuer”) but excluding prepaid cards, gift cards and corporate cards."

rp2000

Yep, credit goes back onto the card you paid on within 2-3 days. And just consumer cards as you've found out. Do you only have a corporate card? If you want I can 'refer' you to the Gold card, both get bonus points which can be converted to Nectar and then Amazon vouchers or similar. Drop me a trust if you want.

And you can just split payments as many times as you want. Staff look at you funny (and CPW actually asked to see some ID) but paying with 5 different cards gives you time to explain why you're doing it.

MUvBG.jpg

This is far less crazy than some of the things I do, like paying for a £25 cafetiere on 5 different cards :p

Associate
Anyone upgraded from the galaxy nexus to the nexus 4? curious to see how much people think it differs, especially battery life in real world use.

Debating if i hold out for google to get some nexus 4 or grab a galaxy nexus (currently using a htc desire)

Caporegime
Yep, credit goes back onto the card you paid on within 2-3 days. And just consumer cards as you've found out. Do you only have a corporate card? If you want I can 'refer' you to the Gold card, both get bonus points which can be converted to Nectar and then Amazon vouchers or similar. Drop me a trust if you want.

And you can just split payments as many times as you want. Staff look at you funny (and CPW actually asked to see some ID) but paying with 5 different cards gives you time to explain why you're doing it.

MUvBG.jpg

This is far less crazy than some of the things I do, like paying for a £25 cafetiere on 5 different cards :p

Yep only a corporate card. I'm not really after any other cards at the moment tbh. One of these days I will be bored of waiting for google and just buy it at full price from CPW or O2 :)

Credit to you for going to the effort for the discount though, If I had the cards and xbox handy I would do the same thing :)

Way off topic, but you have 5 Amex cards all in the same name? Never tried to get more than 1 of a type of credit card. Just assumed there would be some sort of 1 card/credit per customer kind of limit?

rp2000

Soldato
Anyone upgraded from the galaxy nexus to the nexus 4? curious to see how much people think it differs, especially battery life in real world use.

Debating if i hold out for google to get some nexus 4 or grab a galaxy nexus (currently using a htc desire)

well having had both those phones i would say *wait* for the N4. you will pay the same price for galaxy nexus pretty much and get a lesser phone.

The GN was and is awesome, and going from a GN to a N4 was tough at first, but now when i use the GN (gave to the wife) it feels sluggy and the screen feels over saturated color wise.

both will be a noticeable improved upgrade from the desire. but makes sense to get a N4 really.

Associate
How is the battery comparing?

I might possibly be looking at back packing again middle of next year so the removable battery is quite appealing (although i've never taken a spare battery away before).

Back
Top Bottom