Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
My commute should give me 3000 miles over the year on its own, anything else will be for pleasure. I'd like to chalk off 100 miles, and 200km at some stage

I'd like to build at least 2-3 frames, the design for the first one is almost down, I just need to practice my brazing a bit more and get my mitring setup in place

Soldato
I don't really know what I've done this year, so I can't say for next!
I'd like to do a 50-75km ride every other weekend or so and at least not be out of breath all the time still!
commute is 6 miles a day, 5 days a week will get me 300 miles but I'd like to do 10x that! so that means doing 60-100 at weekends!

Soldato
[Damien];23280536 said:
Am I the only one who always unclips his left foot, due to using the kerb to stand on at most junctions? Even if I stop while taking the lane it's still always my left foot.

Nope. Im right footed but clip in the left. Seems more logical to me to unclip the none drive pedal first.

Soldato
Because 17.4mph to 19mph is quite a large leap compared to 16.2mph to 17.4, and then doing all your riding with an aim of 19mph will be quite taxing on the body.

It's a fair point but most of my riding is short bursts of 10 miles i.e. my commute. That will count for >4000 miles of riding and my average commuting speed over the last few months has been generally around 18mph on the way to work and >20mph on the way home (westerly wind).

If the majority of the remainder of my miles are focused on racing or training for races then hopefully I'll hit it.

Like others have said, might as well give it a go - if I don't hit it I won't be distraught but it's good to have a stretching target.

Soldato
I wouldn't quite say boring. I'd say lonely :) But I see what you're getting at. It is much better when you're with friends, you can push each other, have a chat etc.

yup thats what i meant :) not as in boring but yeah having some competition is fun!

going up a hill this morning in a park and my back wheel lost traction a few times! :o

Soldato
Witnessed an 11 year old girl walking to school get knocked over by a motorbike this morning :( First collision I've ever actually seen in 3 years cycling in London.

Had to call the ambulance then stick around for half an hour waiting for them and the police to turn up in the freezing cold too! She was alive and conscious, but they had to put her in a neck restraint and stretcher her away.

Stay safe people, and look both ways before crossing the road :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom