E92 issues

Associate
I'm having a few issues with my E92 of late and I'd like to clear them up, is there a tech on here who can help?

The first is a mild irritation, the seat belt hand over has stopped working properly, the belt seems to slip over the hand over, I was thinking of starching the belt as it seems to be to flexible, but I'm not sure this is a good idea.

Secondly, the auto wipers are on the most sensitive setting and still don't wipe nearly enough, they seem to work sort of when there is a fine mist or road spray, the rest of the time they are pretty much hopeless.

And lastly, the most worrying is an engine vibration or "wobble" at cold startup that lasts for about 10 seconds and can be felt through the transmission if you try and drive off, I was thinking maybe HPFP problem maybe?

Associate
OP
No, it's an original screen as far as I'm aware (I've owned the car from 15,800 miles, and I've never had it changed) It's pretty clear, I suppose there are some minor scratches building up now, but nothing serious.

Soldato
My e60 auto wipers have a mind of their own to sometimes. Not sure there's much that can be done but to keep the sensor area of the screen clean and smear free.

The seatbelt butlers are a complete pain. Most E92 owners get them coded to turn them off (easy enough to do with the right kit).

HPFP problem would be evident at all idle situations, not just start up.

Associate
there is a fix from bmw for the seatbelt handovers which just involves replacing the bit that extends out which will be cheaper than replacing the full unit

Associate
I have an E92

Seatbelt handover is an easy fix and a common problem, usually a new spring will resolve this, if not a new arm (full kit) is £36, I know because I have just replaced mine;

I bet the wobble is something to do with the De-NOX sensor, if you have a petrol E92 fill your tank and go for a 30/40 minute drive on a motorway @ 70mph this will kick in a homogenous mode which in turn will clean the sensor.... if you have less than half a tank of fuel this will not work!!

hope my 2 cents helps

Associate
On the seatbelt problem, does the end of the butler flick out? If yes and the belt slips off, get a pair of hair straighteners and add a 'fold' to the seatbelt. I done this back in August and it catches perfectly each time without slipping.

Associate
OP
I have an E92

Seatbelt handover is an easy fix and a common problem, usually a new spring will resolve this, if not a new arm (full kit) is £36, I know because I have just replaced mine;

I bet the wobble is something to do with the De-NOX sensor, if you have a petrol E92 fill your tank and go for a 30/40 minute drive on a motorway @ 70mph this will kick in a homogenous mode which in turn will clean the sensor.... if you have less than half a tank of fuel this will not work!!

hope my 2 cents helps

That's interesting, thanks, I wonder if this will apply to diesel as well? I've done a few longs runs recently and the tank has been filled as well

Associate
Diesel uses something called "DPF" if I have the name correct, not to sure about the diesel version but I'm sure if you call your Local BMW Dealer they could tell you if a Diesel has an Homogenous Mode =)

Last edited:
Associate
found this;

Lean-burn means pretty much what it says. It is a lean amount of fuel supplied to and burned in an engine's combustion chamber. Normal air-to-fuel ratio is on the order of 15:1 (15 parts air to 1 part fuel). True lean-burn can go as high as 23:1.

Lean-burn engines (both gasoline and diesel) enjoy higher fuel economy and cleaner emissions than conventionally tuned engines. By nature they use less fuel and emit fewer unburned hydrocarbons and greenhouse gases while producing equivalent power of a like-sized "normal" combustion engine. They achieve lean-burn status by employing higher combustion chamber compression ratios (higher cylinder pressure), significant air intake swirl and precise lean-metered direct fuel injection.
The downfall of lean-burn technology is increased exhaust NOx emissions (due to higher heat and cylinder pressure) and a somewhat narrower RPM power-band (due to slower burn rates of lean mixtures).

So I would presume that the Diesel version also has a homogenous mode....

Associate
OP
Is this different to a DPF and the 'regen'? I know my car does do regens as sometimes the exhaust is ticking with heat when I get out of it, and I notice very slight differences sometimes in the acceleration (I presume linked to a DPF regen?)

Back
Top Bottom