No Optical Drives - it's wrong!

Soldato
I'm sure we've had almost the exact same discussion in these forums a few months ago.

Exactly what clients are people visiting that require Ethernet connectivity over Wi-Fi? Apple are not exactly the forerunners of a cabled society, so why do people still expect anything that can be wired that isn't able to be sent wirelessly instead.

Associate
can't remember the last time i used the cd drive on my mbp

for those that really want there's always a usb cd drive but you can buy a flash drives much bigger than disks for moving transferring data

Soldato
Never used mine in my MBP. Sold all my music CD's ages ago - waste of space.

Have to disagree there. There's something very satisfying about cleaning a vinyl record then placing the needle down on the turntable, or popping a CD into your hifi system and selecting the tracks. You simply don't get that buzz with digital downloads.

Associate
What about HTPC ??

very often a HTPC will be someones dvd/cd/blu ray player insted of having a standalone DVD player or hi fi

TRUE you can just download movies but in the case of HTPC what you going to do about your DVD/cd/blu ray collection? pay again to get them just in digital form

I have used my optical drive only onec and that was for the OS instalation

but that was a desktop pc not a HTPC

Xee

Xee

Associate
Have to disagree there. There's something very satisfying about cleaning a vinyl record then placing the needle down on the turntable, or popping a CD into your hifi system and selecting the tracks. You simply don't get that buzz with digital downloads.

Maybe with vinyl yes. But not with a CD, I get a buzz from the actual music not the horrid scratch prone disc. Plus I can browse my collection visually very fast with album art. Try doing that with all your CD boxes spread out all over the floor.

Soldato
Exactly what clients are people visiting that require Ethernet connectivity over Wi-Fi? Apple are not exactly the forerunners of a cabled society, so why do people still expect anything that can be wired that isn't able to be sent wirelessly instead.

Speed, security and reliability. It depends entirely on what you're doing though, which is why it's a big deal for some and a complete non-issue for others.

For the MacBook Air it makes absolute sense for Apple to aggressively push the technology forward, but less so for a laptop with a "Pro" designation. Some of that so-called "legacy" stuff might be a basic requirement or burned into your workflow.

And I think "obsolete" is a term banded about a bit too lightly on this subject. Cassettes/tapes are generally considered obsolete. It's not reasonable to lump optical media into the same category when you can walk into pretty much any high street shop and see endless rows of the technology. And I'm sure most photographers/videographers would agree that a CD/DVD burner is a pretty essential bit of kit.

People might say they never use optical drives and so why should they accommodate it - that's fair enough, and I agree it's dead weight otherwise. But there isn't much stopping Apple from offering a model with an optical drive and full sized ports as an option. They sold the classic iPod for years and years alongside its more modern equivalents because it offered value to the small market who needed the benefits of "legacy/obsolete" disk drives.

It's probably no surprise that Apple's transition to a purely consumer electronics company comes at the cost of the professional end of the line. Perhaps the MBP is becoming the "pro-sumer" device it always has been for the bulk of the market i.e. an aspirational device for people who like to have the most powerful offering for their casual needs, or the emerging BYOD market where it might not be the perfect solution but it does a good job for home and work. That would go some way towards explaining the general indifference towards cutting functionality, as it will typically only be the professional end of the market who saw the value in it in the first place.

Associate
I think its combination of things that has forced Apple to ditch the optical drive, for example:

1. Apple super drives are very unreliable!
2. Time/money supporting super drive issues
3. Free up space to create space for other stuff
4. iTunes
5. Media hype

Soldato
I'm sure we've had almost the exact same discussion in these forums a few months ago.

My employers for a start. The WiFi is secured using AD security, therefore Macs won't work as they don't get the group policy. They have one option - Ethernet.

Macs can get on the guest network, but it's heavily filtered internet access only.

Permabanned

I didn't know people got a buzz about putting a cd or a vinyl onto/into the system. That's just odd. :)

V F

V F

Soldato
Since when? Stupid statement is stupid. There are plenty of places to download media online, or even stream. DVDs and CDs are so 80s/90s.

Yeah right. You or others didn't buy Lord of the Rings on DVD in 2004/5. I've still been buying DVD's/music CD's in the past 4 years. Only the last few I've been buying Blu-Ray only.

Soldato
Thanks, just checking. I'm thinking of picking one up for my Air. Not sure what the big deal is if a standard USB one works alright?

I'd rather have a thinner and lighter laptop and whip out the external drive on the very odd occasion that I use it.

Back
Top Bottom