Old albums!

Soldato
So, figure we should start a old albums thread. Simply because tonight I was clearing out a old duffel bag from the loft. And as usual with most of us, I wanted a peak into it and found my old Soundgarden Superunknown album! 1994!!!! I stole it from my dad haha, I was only 6 when this album was released but remember being a little older listening to this and Squeeze, Shed Seven and Paul Weller... Whilst in year 7!!!

Good old days haha.

Don
Suede - Dog Man Star

Awesome album, currently have been listening to it for about a month

Edit, just read this on Wikipedia.. "The album was later described by one journalist as "the most pompous, overblown British rock record of the decade","
Ha, all the songs are superb imo .

Last edited:
Soldato
Suede - Dog Man Star.

Great album imo. Always seemed fitting for me when I was in freezing cold grotty digs in London.

I've been getting back into a band I've woefully ignored for over 10 years. Santana - specifically Santana 3 and Caravanserai.

Soldato
I always think older albums sound much better...

Especially "bands" albums

Generally they do as they are much much better mastered to have proper quiets and louds and differentiation bettween the bass, midrange and treble. Modern albums are engineered without the detail so everything sounds squiched into the mid range and they are almost always mastered too loud.

Sadly this is what sells to today music buyers and instead of any drive for quality what we actually have is a race to mediocrity, obviously this is a sweeping satement that doesn't hold for all old and new albums but as a generalisation it's not far off.

Soldato
a1ex2001 is referring to something known as 'the loudness war' - Google it. A fascinating subject (if you like music/recorded sound)

New it had a 'proper' name! it's really interesting in a depressing way a bit like the whole digital revolution CD's were brilliant and after the debacle that was the audio cassette finally put us back on a course were sound quality was on an upward trend but then we've all gone into download whether illegal or legit and effectively sold out on quality once again instead of demanding music that is of the best quality all anyone does is demand it cheap/free!

little video to explain the nasty phenomenon

Last edited:
Soldato
Wow, loudness war is actually interesting! Couple of the sited albums on the wikipedia (at war with the mystics by the flaming lips and QOTS songs for the deaf) might have done it for style reasons as well...

Interesting though, going to bug me for ages which cd's sound wrong because of it.

Caporegime
Californication beats all at the loudness war!

Anyway, old albums... Are you Experienced will always be a favourite, although I seem to be playing Electric Ladyland more often recently.

Associate
Suede - Dog Man Star

Awesome album, currently have been listening to it for about a month

Edit, just read this on Wikipedia.. "The album was later described by one journalist as "the most pompous, overblown British rock record of the decade","
Ha, all the songs are superb imo .

+1 - fantastic album. Some of the best rock vocals I've ever heard - Brett Anderson should have gotten a medal for that record.

Soldato
Steely Dan - Aja

Recording perfection.

Brilliant LP, though I would class it as middle aged rather than old :)

Check out Joni Mitchell's Hejira, same producer and a lot of the same musicians.

For loudness you cannot beat Alice Cooper's single ''Schools out (forever)''
which always amazed me with the output from a small 7 inch piece of vinyl

Associate
I've been listening a lot to classic ZZ Top. 'Tres Hombres' is a great place to start and moving onto 'Tejas' which has an almost dreamlike quality to it whilst still being very rock 'n roll.

Caporegime
The real shame is if someone does their music 'properly' now they get accused by loads of people of making their music too quiet :(

Some bands make a point of advertising their albums as being "properly" mastered. The Seldom Seen Kid by Elbow has a note in the CD liner saying this. Fair enough, as the opening track, Starlings, can blow your ears off.

Back
Top Bottom