Crucial M4 problem

Associate
I've had my 256GB M4 for about 11 months. I got hit with the 5200 hous bug and updated the firmware a while back to fix it. It's been fine since, until tonight when the BIOS wouldn't see it. I tried different cables etc.. but kept getting nothing - drive not detected and PC couldn't boot to Windows. I was just about to give up but tried one last time and the M4 was detected, booted OK and the PC is running fine (for now).

Has anyone else had problems with M4's recently ?
I'm thinking of a samsung 840 as a replacement.

Soldato
Known bug with the current 010G firmware.

Your options are either to downgrade to the 000F firmware, or wait 10-15+ minutes in the BIOS then reboot. The drive shpuld then reappear and you can continue as normal. You don't need to unplug cables which seems to be the official guidance.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the info but I haven't updated to 010G.
PC booted ok the day before. No updates done. Powered off the PC then that happened yesterday. PC is ok when powered on today.

Associate
OP
At least I know what to do if it happens again, and I'll steer clear of 010G. Gave me about 10 minutes of anxiety at the thought of reinstalling all my apps.

Soldato
I'm still on 010G, too lazy to downgrade.. I run into this problem at least once a week. The first time it happened I followed the instructions about unplugging cables and leaving the PC off for 30 minutes. Since then I just leave it sitting in BIOS while I make a coffee, next reboot it comes back.

It's pretty bad, but hopefully they'll be a fixed firmware soon.

Associate
OP
Almost 2 weeks on and it hasn't done it again. No firmware update or any other change made, but the M4 is working perfectly fine.

Associate
I had a problem a few weeks ago when I had a power cut and when I got power again the SSD just wasn't being seen by the motherboard. After crapping myself about how screwed I was I did some research and managed to find a fix.

What you need to do is power off your PC, unplug the SATA cable from the SSD and then power on the PC. Just leave it in BIOS for 20 minutes and then power off the PC. Power on the PC and leave again for 20 minutes. Turn off your PC for the last time and plug back in the SATA cable and power on. It should now work fine.

Didn't think at all that it would work but for me it did and my SSD has been fine since. Give it a go and it might help you out.

Associate
OP
I kind of did that a couple of weeks ago (after a power down, not a power cut) by reseating the sata cable then leaving it powered on for a while as I checked settings.

As I mentioned though, it only failed once and has been fine since which i find a little strange.

Back
Top Bottom