What's your ice/snow removal strategy?

Soldato
The van was frozen up the other morning and all we had was concentrated screen wash, poured a load of this over the screen and it cleared really quickly. Ideal.

Associate
Open garage. Get in car. Reverse car out of garage. Get out and close the garage. Get back in car. Drive off.

/smug.

Only ever had to de-ice my car once and it warmed up surprisingly quickly for a diesel. Also surprisingly (being French) the rear window heater works as well, but I then found out that one of the elements doesn't :(

Soldato
Press a button to turn on the heated screen. Sorted.

Used to also use cold water before I got a car with a heated screen.

Press a button !! Too much effort, it should turn itself on when it is below a certain temperature. Start the car and the heated screen comes on automatically and when the screen is defrosted the auto wipers wipes the screen clear job done.:D

Soldato
I'm working nights over the winter, so start it up at 06:30am when I finish, stick the heated seats and heated mirrors on, then go back into the office to finish my cuppa :D

Soldato
Keep a two pint plastic milk carton next to the sink, fill it with warm tap water, go to car and pour on front and rear screens, start wipers, do side windows and drive off. Never had a cracked windscreen, and ready to go in less then 1 min :)

That was for my old car, now I just use my heated screen, although the water method is still faster :)

Associate
Boil kettle.
Abuse door seals to get in car.
Engine on
Get out and scrape windscreen
Get back in car, cloth down inside of windscreen
Drive to end of street and pray I can see enough.

If no, hold on 2 mins.

If yes, go and stick to less than 3000 rpm.

Buy yourself a can of silicone lubricant spray, then spray all around both door rubber seals. This will stop them from freezing shut, before i started doing it I'd have to wrestle and pry my door open every morning, now they open with no hesitation. It's also a good idea to liberally spray the aerial, as it can freeze solid and the motor might burn out trying to force it up.

Associate
How do you close the garage door once you've driven? I am going to assume that you will be at your destination after the drive?

I drive a few metres then press the button on the garage door remote :)

Lucky I rewrote the reply after my first attempt because that would have seen me trapped in the garage after getting in.

Soldato
Minor frost - heated screen. Bit of de-icer on the sides if needed.

Major frost or snow - Get out cheapo fan heater with long power lead, throw in footwell, turn on, eat breakfast, go out to warm car with clear windows :)

Back
Top Bottom