X-Factor 2012

Soldato
While the number may have been pulled from nowhere, I'm not wrong in what I said. The winner usually ends up selling far fewer records against the a few of the "losers" from the same series

Not true at all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Series 1 (2004)
Winner: Steve Brookstein
Runner-Up: G4

Neither could manage more that one top 40 hit but Brookstein wins as his reached number 1 whereas G4's only number 9.

Series 2 (2005)
Winner: Shayne Ward
Runner-Up: Andy Abraham

Ward's 6 top 40 hits clearly puts Andy's 1 entry to shame.

Series 3 (2006)
Winner: Leona Lewis
Runner-Up: Ray Quinn

I won't even bother explaining why the winner of the title that year was justified.

Series 4 (2007)
Winner: Leon Jackson
Runner-Up: Rhydian Roberts

Worst year in XF history but Leon's 2 top 40 hits, including a number 1 beat Rhydian's attempt whose only single flopped and could only manage number 93.

Series 4 (2008)
Winner: Alexandre Burke
Runner-Up: JLS

Complete opposite of previous year with two big acts being found. Both have had very good careers with numerous number 1 between them but JLS just take this one, and become the first act so far to finish runner-up and beat the winner of the show by charting 11 times to Alexandre's 8.

Series 5 (2009)
Winner: Joe McEldry
Runner-Up: Olly Murs

For a second time, and only the second time the runner-up goes on to do better than the winner. This time it's more clear cut though than above. Olly's 8 top 40 hits trounce Joe's 2.

Series 6 (2010)
Winner: Matt Cardle
Runner-Up: Rebecca Ferguson

Normal service resumed, Matt takes this just on the basis out of his 2 top 40 hits he's got a number 1 whereas the best Rebecca can do from her 2 chart entries is number 10.

Series 7 (2011)
Winner: Little Mix
Runner-Up: Marcus Collins

Forget the 12 month rule. Little Mix have knocked out 3 top 40 hits since winning and bagged a number 1. Marcus’s “7 Nation army”, his only single to date, could do no better than number 9.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So by my reckoning, only in 2008 & 2009 have the runners up done better in terms of singles released and numbers sold. I could look at albums instead of singles but i don't think it really would be that different.

I think the problem is people remember great acts that didn't win (like JLS for example) then remember crap acts that did win (like Joe McEldry), forget that standard of talent was different between series and somehow conflate in their mind that the acts that don't win are better.

Caporegime
Not true at all.
I think the problem is people remember great acts that didn't win (like JLS for example) then remember crap acts that did win (like Joe McEldry), forget that standard of talent was different between series and somehow conflate in their mind that the acts that don't win are better.

But One Direction destroyed both Cardle and Ferguson, no?

Soldato
Not true at all.

-snp-

Your work is laughable from line one you have taken one tiny measure of success singles sales look at it another way and year one

G4 1 x Double Platinum Album 2 x Platinum Albums
Brookstein 1 x Gold Album

There is only one successfull act there of course their single sales were woeful they are a classical act their Album sales are a much better indicator of success.

Same with Rydian much better album sales and a stage career, your measure of success is far to narrow!

Even the furgusson Cardle year (ignoring the massive success of one direction) she has a double platinum album and a mobo nomination he sold 270'000 albums not even a gold!

Last edited:
Soldato
Blimey, Christopher topped the voting every week for the first 7 weeks!

That's pretty impressive.
That just goes to show that he has a lot of support out there, even though he isn't a great singer.

What's also interesting is that the week after Arthur almost got eliminated, this vote percentage shot through the roof. His supporters clearly "woke up".

Best singer one, I think.

Back
Top Bottom