Is this in breach of SORN regulations?

Associate
Hi. As you can see, a considerate neighbour has this Renault B110 (3.5t) not wholly parked off the public highway. I believe the footpath/pavement is still a public highway/right of way (maintained by the local authority) and, as such, classed as a public highway.

Forget about that fact that this is blocking the pavement (wheelchair access/buggys/visually impaired, etc.) as that is surely a council (or perhaps police) issue.

This vehicle is SORN'ed at the moment and has been parked in this position since September. Unless a complaint is made it will be stuck there until Easter when it will be used for business. There are usually cars parked on that side of the road making pedestrian passing impossible. The road is currently being dug-up (gas works) so there are no cars in this picture.

My question is, will the DVLA consider this as adequate SORN storage? I am popping down to my local DVLA office after work for a chat. I'll let you know. Thanks.

Caporegime
I doubt the DVLA would be happy with that, plus, what an inconsiderate ****
The silly cow could have at least blocked the pavement with a half decent van instead of that pile of crap! :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
While being a bit anal to post a thread on the internet about it, and pop down the DVLA 'for a chat', I do think it would fall foul of SORN rules.

It's likely to pee your neighbour off though. Is it worth the hassle?

Soldato
Seriously does that bother you that much ?

I'd be prepared for an angry neighbour and I'm guessing it wouldn't take a private detective for the person to work out who reported him/her.

On a side note have you thought about maybe knocking on the door to express concerns and maybe ask him to move it ?

Caporegime
You'd have thought, being a woman, she'd have at least a little consideration toward those with prams, pushchairs & suchlike.

Sounds like a silly cow indeed,and one that can't reverse......

Associate
Correct me if im wrong but that looks like a quiet residential area?

Im sure even a child could negotiate that little obstruction without killing themselves.

Soldato
There is also some legislation about parking commercial vehicles in residential areas, look into that too!

Associate
OP
There is also some legislation about parking commercial vehicles in residential areas, look into that too!

I think that may be found in title deeds.

Regularly see cars doing 40+ mph up & down this road. As it blocks a line of sight (cars coming down) conceivably a child could run onto the road thinking it was safe.

Soldato
Good on you, too many people get away with taking the ****. She is not paying her road tax so it does not entitle her to park the vehicle on a public highway, regardless of how much it's obscuring the path.

Back
Top Bottom