SODASTREAM - are they worth it?

Soldato
Everyone I know wanted a Mr Frosty, but not one got one. I know of one person who recently bought one and wished he didn't bother.

I think I'll stick with moaning I didn't ever get one, but avoid the disappointment of actually using one :p

Soldato
He talks about the Illuminati. I refuse to watch any more.

Yes, we may eat pesticides, but they kill pests. Not us. Problem?

GM crops can really help save human lives, they are researched thoroughly and if they will have foreseeable impacts on the ecosystem, they will simply be banned by the government.

USA=Corrupt gov. bought by corporations.

Soldato
I've got one and use it reasonably often. They're quite good if you want some slightly different flavours that aren't always quite so easy to buy on the cheap. Like root beer, cream soda, pink grapefruit, apple and the energy drink variant. You can also get some cool flavours like this lot:

sodastream.jpg

Cherry cola, blood orange and mojito :)

However if you were mainly going to use it to make stuff like lemonade (no point when it's like 30p a bottle anyway) or cola (tastes pretty crappy) then you'll be disappointed. If you're mainly interested in trying the other flavours then go for it.

Soldato
We used to have one when I was a child. Got used a couple of times then we got bored so we put it in the attic. It got chucked away a few years later. It's just a toy, buy normal pop from the supermarkets.

Soldato
I remember people having these in the 80s but I don't remember them being that common. I also remember at the time, peoples' mothers used to say that buying fizzy pop was a waste of money because it was non-dilutable and was mostly water. This may be true but it's not something i've heard someone say for a long time.

Soldato
Oh yeah, tip: DO NOT USE IT TO MAKE "FLAT" DR PEPPER FIZZY AGAIN!!!

Seriously, i was mopping the ceiling. Everywhere it went.

Or milk! Definitely, 100% don't put milk in the soda stream. Even if it's the "less creamy kind".

I released the handle to find most of myself, my freind and the kitchen covered in fizzy milk. The smell was so bad :(

Soldato
I had one of these as a kid... nothing like making your own Rola Cola lol.

I remember taking the empty co2 bottle into Asda for part exchange towards a new C02 bottle. Dont they still even do that? Worked out cheaper to take your empty and trade + cash than buy a new one

Soldato
I would buy one in an instance if they had the range of flavours they had back in the mid eightes.

Sure they had the orange, cola's, lemonades and the like, but beyond the generic....Mr T's knockout punch, witches brew, gremlin stripe... and a super strong blackcurrent, which i remember spilling all over my school books when the bottle popped in my bag:)

Seriously, any money to pull that Mr T's back... sodastreams being as overpriced as they are:o

Soldato
http://priceonomics.com/soda-makers/sodastream/

Depending on how often you use it, which model you get, and what price you normally pay for supermarket fizzy water/cola you can pay off the initial up-front cost either really quickly, or so slowly that the machine will have broken in the interrim and you'll need to buy another one.

The mark-up on the CO2 canisters is massive.

Caporegime
don't see the point myself - I don't exactly drink coke/lemonade regularly though...

one of these would be cool though:

seltzer_bottles.jpg

Associate
Our neighbor had one so automatically I wanted one but weren't aloud one (11-12, no dosh, Mummy said no :( ) as they were expensive and just generally a waste of money. Was it like £20 for a refill canister? I loved the Cola flavour though.

Now I see them in the supermarket but have no desire to get one. I'd probably get one if my teeth weren't so sensitive to sugary crap. :o

So ultimately they're a waste of money but just get one if you wanna waste some cash and binge on some fizzy, tasty drinks.

Soldato
Inventing New and exotic flavours of drink was one thing I used to do in the 80's when I was a kid!!..

I INVENTED Orange Coke waaaaay before the Cocacola company did a limited edition Orange Coke in the late 90's early 2000's...

And yes!! I keep saying to the wife I want one!!... lets see what Santa brings!! :)

Soldato
Friends of mine have one but for the price of the unit, the gas and the syrups I don't think it makes much sense.

Carbonated water from Tesco is, 17p for 2 litres, apple juice is 69p for a litre — job done.

Soldato

Some people have way too much time on their hands!! :p

Our neighbor had one so automatically I wanted one but weren't aloud one (11-12, no dosh, Mummy said no :( ) as they were expensive and just generally a waste of money. Was it like £20 for a refill canister? I loved the Cola flavour though.

Now I see them in the supermarket but have no desire to get one. I'd probably get one if my teeth weren't so sensitive to sugary crap. :o

So ultimately they're a waste of money but just get one if you wanna waste some cash and binge on some fizzy, tasty drinks.

You don't need to put the sugary crap in ;)

Back
Top Bottom