• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is intel really that good?

Caporegime
which i said numerous times lol

basically the only argument i ever see from a 8350 owner which is valid is the encoding . which every amd 8350 owner mostly tries to use to defend it being slower than intel counter parts .

as said for about millionth time the amd is slower .

u may not care but with so many bias sites doing reviews it would be refreshing to see it done.

i suggested this in games and graphics cards and someones done it and its very popular and useful.

Last edited:
Soldato
to be fair, it tends to be the memory bandwidth and memory latency that kills the performance of Bulldozer and Piledriver, it improved a bit with the latter but no where near enough to challenge Intel in the slightest, Piledriver is a decent amount faster clock for clock than Bulldozer but the second it gets a bandwidth intensive task it falls flat on its face, when the Intel races ahead.

pair them with the same on-board memory and such and Bulldozer as a concept is still very potent design, they really really need to beef up the memory side of things before Steamroller appears. the architecture as a whole does quite well in tasks that doesn't reveal this horrible achillies heel.

Edit: on the plus side they have done a nice amount to bring power consumption down a nice lump, its just a shame it looks as though they will abandon the PC market sooner rather than later, since Bulldozer to Piledriver gained a much bigger improvement for the most part than Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge, who knows Piledriver to Steamroller might gain some more ground again, and then the final hoorah for Bulldozer, Excavator could potentially bridge the gulf, if they can sort out the problems starving the actual processing elements of the core, and bottlenecking the chip as a whole.

Last edited:
Caporegime
This is a sub £150 CPU (looking around) its £30 cheaper than a 3570K and £110 cheaper than a 3770K, and the FX-8320 is even better as that can be had for less than £130 making it nearly in the Intel i3 price bracket.

It will make any game perfectly playable even if it is slower than a 3570K in some games, its plenty fast enough in gaming, it will match the 3570K in most modern games.
You would only really need something faster if your in high end GPU xFire/SLI, in which case you would need to spend more money on Intel.

It is more capable than the more expensive 3570K more often than not in every day apps. Even when its not its not a million miles behind as some would try and make you believe.

The good...

photoshop_zps65c2d8e2.png

winzip_zps3569a65a.png

visualstudio_zps5109c281.png

premiere_zpsc4c7987f.png

mainconcept_zpscbb2cf71.png

handbrake_zpsc3819230.png

fritz_zps52a003f6.png

abbyyfinereader_zps6b418298.png

7zip_zpsf3da1a96.png

The not so good.... (single or low threaded apps)

winrar_zps7c2713d9.png

photoshopopencl_zpsa2180961.png

lame_zps84a656f9.png

itunes_zps6b0fa382.png

aftereffects_zps1e7c126c.png

acrobatx_zps80275a93.png

This is a CPU that is cheaper than the competition, its actually a hell of a lot cheaper than the 3770K.
Despite this the all round performance while not 'perfect' is pretty good.

Its a decent CPU at a good price. thats it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Its not a hell of a lot cheaper than the i5. Also when both CPU's are overclocked the i5 pulls into the lead even more. Also you mention gaming but dont provide any gaming benchmarks.

Caporegime
the games that use cpu horsepower will show how the i5 pulls away

as said previously the amd option is not bad but with how the 8350 is priced why choose it over a intel counterpart unless encoding or already having a am3+ mobo.

what i have laughed at is what gibbo did in the other thread was very clever marketing with the 5ghz thread look at the ocuk pricing now on the 8350s :p

people were like at first nah intel i5 is better that thread made people think they could run very high overclocks on them daily not really true though (please dont say you run 5 ghz 24/7 you dont ! ) but create hype enough to knock the price back up from what they was at 150 !

Caporegime
Its not a hell of a lot cheaper than the i5. Also when both CPU's are overclocked the i5 pulls into the lead even more. Also you mention gaming but dont provide any gaming benchmarks.
You said it "pulls out the into the lead even more"
Which CPU is in the lead in real desktop productivity apps?

Is the FX-8350 not in the lead in Photoshop, in Win Zip, in Visual studio, in Premier Pro, in Main concept, In Hand Break, In Abby fine reader, In 7 Zip?
Its not the more expensive i5 is it?

Did you not see those slides?

Here are some of those slides you asked for.

oc-8350-7970-graph-metro2033_zps6615e355.jpg

oc-8350-7970-graph-dirt3_zpsae5ef707.jpg

oc-8350-7970-graph-civ5_zpsb0bbd52d.jpg

oc-8350-7970-graph-bf3_zpscbad524e.jpg

oc-8350-7970-graph-batmanac_zpscdfa20e4.jpg

oc-8350-7970-graph-avp_zpsea4a153c.jpg

worldofwarcraft2560_zps7e53b513.png

worldofwarcraft1920_zps7eb21859.png

skyrim2560_zps24f8ce8d.png

skyrim1920_zps7afd625c.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Those latest slides all proved a non overclocked Intel chip beats an overclocked AMD chip. Also in your previous slides is it lower is better etc? Because a Phenom 2 does not beat an i7 :D

Caporegime
Those latest slides all proved a non overclocked Intel chip beats an overclocked AMD chip. Also in your previous slides is it lower is better etc? Because a Phenom 2 does not beat an i7 :D

Phenom II? :confused:

In most of those slides a £250 i7 3770K beats the £150 FX-8350 by just a few FPS, whats more they are all getting over 60 FPS.

So for 1 to 10 FPS you would recommend i spend £100 more on the CPU?

Soldato
Im worried now that you don't even look at your own benchmarks... And for some strange reason stick the i7 instead of the i5 which is nearly the same price at the 8350..

Caporegime
Im worried now that you don't even look at your own benchmarks... And for some strange reason stick the i7 instead of the i5 which is nearly the same price at the 8350..

The FX-8350 beats the i5 more often then not in the productivity slides, yes or no?

Most of the gaming slides only has the i7 in them.

Last edited:
Soldato
The FX-8350 beats the i5 more often then not in the productivity slides, yes or no?

Most of the gaming slides only has the i7 in them.

Also take a look at these benches:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/701?vs=697

Funny how the only apps which the AMD chips win are the heavily threaded and encoding ones. The games (at the bottom) show how much better the Intel chip is. Plus the Intel chip can gain at least another 1Ghz overclock which the AMD cannot pull off for 24/7 use.

With the first set of slides can you link the source. I still dont believe *insert repeated statement*

Caporegime
With the first set of slides can you link the source. I still dont believe *insert repeated statement*

Dawn of war II @ 1650 x 1050, Star Craft 2 @ 1024 x 768, and WOW @ 1650 x 1050 :rolleyes:

I tell you what, i'm looking for a new rig.

I need a motherboard, GPU and CPU.

I have £350 to £400 at best

I play FPS like Crysis 2, COD, BF3 and some of the latest car racing games, i will get the new COD games, BF4 and Crysis 3.
I already have a PSU, RAM and a 1080P monitor ect....

I need to use Photoshop for school and i like to make videos and convert them for different devices.

Spec me a rig

Last edited:
Caporegime
If I had 400 quid on a CPU/GPU/Mobo for someone else, I wouldn't be overclocking, it'd be a Xeon (Ivy i7), a H61 board, and a 7870.
To be honest, I'm overclocking less and less these days, the Intel cooler is silent pretty much, the AMD cooler isn't in anyway shape or form.

Back
Top Bottom