Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
I'll probably get my hands on the N54L in the new year (a customer wants something based on the Microserver for his startup) so if others haven't commented by the time he has placed an order I'll let you know what I think of it.

Soldato
wow 5000 posts.

its amazing really how HP have made something so popular that holds 4 drives + for such a good price
It's sensible marketing, they make a product that a lot of people want or can afford - entice people to buy by offering cash-back, all the while making a small profit, but shifting thousands of units.

A lot of people who buy them just buy them because they are cheap and make a great NAS/storage solution.

I bought one to replace an ageing P4 Dell (shudders) and it works perfect for what I need - similar size to my old Shuttle system and holds 4-6 HDD's.

Caporegime
I'll probably get my hands on the N54L in the new year (a customer wants something based on the Microserver for his startup) so if others haven't commented by the time he has placed an order I'll let you know what I think of it.

I guess there will be no cashback to start with, but any idea how much you will be able to get one for? I am tempted to replace my ML115 (quad core opteron 2.2ghz I think) with one of these. The fans on the ML115 are quite noisy, although I guess it is twice as powerful as the N54L, but I don't need the power, just want the silence!!!

rp2000

Soldato
Is there a easily available fan that'll work as a direct replacement in the PSU?

I had one go faulty (just the PSU fan, noisy and not shifting much air) and it was more cost effective to replace the entire server rather than just replacing the PSU. So I'm left with an almost complete N36L that just needs a 40mm fan to have it working again.

Last edited:
Associate
Is there a easily available fan that'll work as a direct replacement in the PSU?

I had one go faulty (just the PSU fan, noisy and not shifting much air) and it was more cost effective to replace the entire server rather than just replacing the PSU. So I'm left with an almost complete N36L that just needs a 40mm fan to have it working again.

I went for a:

Sunon KDE1204PKVX

but any 40mmx20mm fan will do, just make sure the air it can shift is similar and watch out for noise as 40mm fans can be rediculously loud, they are frequently used in rackmount equipment where noise is not an issue and they just need to shift as much air as possible.

Soldato
I guess there will be no cashback to start with, but any idea how much you will be able to get one for? I am tempted to replace my ML115 (quad core opteron 2.2ghz I think) with one of these. The fans on the ML115 are quite noisy, although I guess it is twice as powerful as the N54L, but I don't need the power, just want the silence!!!

rp2000

According to this the RRP is £269 ex VAT for the model with the 2GB RAM and 250GB Disk.

The same page shows a 4GB model without a disk for £309 ex VAT

RRP's though, no idea what retailers will stock them for.

Soldato
What's the temp of the two hdds in the top bay?

2 drives in top bay are a 150gig velociraptor running at 38c as the os drive, below it sits the 1tb wd green drive which is powered off most of the time but in operation its running at around 36c.

then the 4 drives in the cage run at 25c when powered off. the wd reds get up to 28c and the seagate 3tb does 34c and the 2.5tb wd green gets up to 31c.

im using a scythe s-flex 1200 fan at the back. and a dust filter has been fitted to the front door, all other holes and gaps at the back of the case have been sealed up with tape.

Soldato
so am i the only one running 6 x 3.5inch drives in the microserver? the nexus doubletwin works wonders and has the top dvd drive bay converted to allow 2 more 3.5 inch drives to be slapped in.

I'm running ubuntu server with 6x HDD, 1x SSD and an external esata backup drive :)

Although at the moment i need something like the nexus double twin as the drives are only temporarily mounted.

Just cant get my hands on a nexus mount so does anyone have alternatives to the Nexus doubletwin?

Last edited:

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
2 drives in top bay are a 150gig velociraptor running at 38c as the os drive, below it sits the 1tb wd green drive which is powered off most of the time but in operation its running at around 36c.

I think it would be a different story if you had 2 drives running 24/7.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a controller card that supports RAID5 for this that doesn't cost tons?

Since the microserver doesn't support hardware raid 5 I guess you're either wanting hardware raid or just want to add additional drives to the current software raid.

If the latter is true then you can pick up a card with the required additional port s for around £20-£30

Associate
Just a note to say that I got an email this morning froh HP Promotions that my cashback claim has been rejected on the basis that the serial number is NOT UK stock.

I bought it from Serversplus on the 3rd December.

Just been in contact with them and they are going to sort it out (something to do with their distributor "moving stock about"?). Hopefully it will be sorted out quickly.

Maybe HP are being more rigorous in checking the source of stock now.

Pete

Soldato
this has probably been mentioned before so sorry, but what about the 5th bay (DVD Drive) how do you go about adding a extra hdd. I'd assume a 5 inch to 3/12 converter for the frame then how do you power it is there a cable there already ? and what about data?

Ive read the HP spec sheet and it just references 4 internal bays but also mentions a half height optical drive so I don't know if there is enough bays, is it a case of an esata to sata cable ?

Cheers

Last edited:
Associate
^^^ Hope that it gets sorted for you.

I have just received my £100 cash back cheque, just ready to be spent for Christmas :)

Just been contacted by Serversplus, they're dropping off another (UK stock) Microserver and picking up the (Euro) one a few days later.

Royal PITA as I've stuffed the original with extra memory, drives and a PCIe SATA/SAS H/W RAID card which was particularly tricky to install.

Peter

Soldato
^^^ Glad that mine went well, in regards to the cash back, as I had totally built and installed the OS etc before I bothered to submit the claim.

At least it is being sorted but I feel your pain.

Back
Top Bottom