Is Strictly Come Dancing a sport?

Soldato
No, it's a TV programme...... and dancing is an art but when it's competative does that alone make it a sport?? I'm not sure.

But your comment makes no sense.
"Is Strictly Come Dancing a sport, if not then why is gymnastics; In my opinion anything that is decided by subjective judging isn't a sport."

But gymnastics IS subjectively judged so by you opinion gymnastics is not a sport.

Are dressage, boxing, diving, syncronised swimming, judo, taekwando and wresting not sports as they are subjectively judged.

Soldato
OP
But your comment makes no sense.
"Is Strictly Come Dancing a sport, if not then why is gymnastics; In my opinion anything that is decided by subjective judging isn't a sport."

But gymnastics IS subjectively judged so by you opinion gymnastics is not a sport.

Are dressage, boxing, diving, syncronised swimming, judo, taekwando and wresting not sports as they are subjectively judged.

It makes perfect sense, proved by the fact you got what I was saying. Yes, I don't think gymnastics is a sport.

First off let me say, a lot of people treat the word 'sport' as a bit of a sacred cow, I just think it's a word. By me saying gymnastics isn't a sport I am not trying to belittle it or suggest it is lesser than things I do think are sports. I certainly think it's a form of athletics, just not what I would call a sport.

To me, a sport has to have a defined set of rules that allow one side to be declared a winner by an objective method. It can contain subjectivity as a decider but must primarily be decided by something measurable.

So boxing is a sport, because the judge's scorecards only come into play when neither opponent can get the knock out (an objective measure). Subjectivity is only used to prevent tons of draws.

I believe judo, taekwando and wresting (real) have objective deciding factors don't they? Be it pinning your opponent, performing certain moves, or landing strikes in defined areas. So they are sports in my book.

Dressage, diving & syncronised swimming aren't sports (IMO), the first is horse riding and the other two are athletic competitions.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Each movement a gymnast makes, or a dancer performs, has a standard to be met to achieve full points. That is measurable.
I think you are supposed to tell the judges what you will be doing so they know what to look for. You have a maximum score you can achieve by your routine or exercise. Do something different and you lose points.

Associate
You get points for ~style~, or whatnot, as well points for doing certain moves correctly... so there is a subjective element.

No you don't, in gymnastics you get points for difficulty based on defined moves and points for execution based on defined parameters also. There is very little subjectivity in gymnastics as the judges have well defined criteria of what they can deduct. It's not exactly "that was pretty, i'll give you a 9/10".

Associate
It's hardly style though is it, it's about doing it properly or not. When two routines are technically the same they will score the same. If one person falls over then they'll lose half a point or something.

Back
Top Bottom