Just lost my job :(

bum

bum

Associate
It sounds like we are in the same industry. But I have been out of work for almost 2 months now. This whole unemployment is slowly eating my soul away.

Soldato
Congratulations f/d. Had a really tough interview myself yesterday too. 2 hours with a 30 minute presentation I had to deliver then a 3 hours drive home. Felt like someone had sliced the top off my head stirred my brains and then span me round and sent me wondering off :). Hopefully it will have been worth taking the day off for :)

Soldato
Dude that's awesome. So glad it worked out for you!

I had a similar situation this year.. got made redundant in March, got a new job which only lasted 3 months and they let me go... then moved down to London and got a fantastic job with great people. Sometimes bad things are just a stepping stone to better things :)

Soldato
Congrats on the new job. Only just saw this thread tonight or else I would have replied sooner as I have a couple of comments that may well be relevant to your situation but before that, a tiny bit of history about me.

I used to work at Free Radical Design (eventually bought by Crytek, soon to be your new Employer) and I was in your situation on December 18th 2008 (4 years ago to the date actually). We turned up to work to find the offices all locked up and a note on the door telling us to go to a nearby hotel which is then when we were told our fate. Similar thing happened as with you, local(ish) studios seemed to already know before we did and upon walking out of the meeting were greeted in the hotel reception by the likes of Codemasters and others trying to scoop up newly available talent. They bought us drinks and took down details for job openings. All quite surreal.

So anyway, my couple of points to note are regarding your redundancy. Firstly, make sure you sign on the dole (despite having another job offer). We were all told that in order to claim statuary redundancy you had to sign on. I don't claim to know the reasons for this but we all did as advised anyway. Secondly your redundancy claim will be affected by your new job start date from what I remember. So if you had 3 months notice from Eurocom and get a job 2 months in then I seem to recall the statuary pay won't cover you for the final month. At least this is certainly how I remember things. Finally, I did cringe when I read 5-6 weeks for pay out. Ours came in small lumps over the course of 2 or so years and by the time I'd totalled it up I was still short holiday pay and some lieu notice. So just to emphasise that I wouldn’t count too much on a pay out over the Christmas period. I'm sure you have already but if not, have a proper look into it, don't just take my word for it.

And again, good luck in your new role. Karl is the top man now at Crytek UK and is a great guy. Steve left almost immediately after Crytek took over and Dave a few months earlier, before the demise of FRD. After FRD a bunch of our guys went your way (Martin Keywood and Marcel Swanepoel to name a couple) so I was saddened to hear that it’s happened again to yet more folk. Luckily for them they both got out sometime ago. In fact Marcel is back working at Crytek so you may well cross paths…..he worked on Golden Eye too so assuming you’ve met at some point.

Anyway, enough of me for one night. Have a great Christmas. The best thing about being made redundant this time of year is that you get the whole holiday period off so it’s not all bad :p

Soldato
OP
cheers for the write up ^^^

I remember the day FRD went down. Was a big shock.

I've done some reading into the redundancy pay thing and yeah, it sounds like it won't be coming any time soon :(

uh oh, my Daughter's awake, I'll finish this message later....

Soldato
Redundancy can turn out pretty well as you've found out - even if the company goes bust and there's nothing left after the main creditors you'll end up with around 3 grand (7 years so 7 weeks pay at 430 quid a week max) from the government, you get a nice long Christmas break and then you start a new job on 7th Jan.

GL with the new job!

Associate
Got the blimmin job!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Start on 7th jan. :)

Amazing studio, amazing people and the project......wow!!!!

Thanks for the words of support over the last few weeks. Even Mr "owned".

Congratulations! Very happy for you! Also, thank you for the write up about how you got into the industry.

Will you be relocating to Frankfurt? Wish I was in your shoes, I am stuck in a dead end service support job like I am on a conveyor belt... Would much rather have a creative rewarding job!!

Think Crytek-Frankfurt would take on someone with exceptional customer service skills? lol

Back
Top Bottom