ASUS RT-N66U vs N56U for Virgin (SuperHub)

Soldato
so been using superhub on 100mb line and the wireless is pants

been looking at new routers and the Asus is what im going to get

but not sure which one, N56U or N66U?

id like best wifi performance but read the n56u has best throughput

will i be missing this throughput if i was to opt for the n66u?

does the n66 have VPN, QOS and guest wifi all via the official firmware?

also any issues with either of the Asus routers with superhub being in modem mode only?

Thanks

Soldato
I have the N56U since couple of weeks now.
Good so far, very strong signal, never dropped even once(have 12 wireless devices so far).
But I am bit stumped by the Guest network and QOS!
Guest network is available via custom firmware, but no QOS.
QOS is available via official firmware, but no Guest Network!

Soldato
OP
Code:
Test Description 	RT-N66U 	RT-N56U
WAN - LAN 	732 Mbps 	802 Mbps
LAN - WAN 	729 Mbps 	862 Mbps
Total Simultaneous 	810 Mbps 	1269 Mbps
Maximum Simultaneous Connections 	34,925 	34,925
Firmware Version 	3.1.0.3.90 	1.0.1.2

thanks for the guys

hmm, could do without the guest network

does the 56u do vpn ok ?

Last edited:
Soldato
Code:
Test Description 	RT-N66U 	RT-N56U
WAN - LAN 	732 Mbps 	802 Mbps
LAN - WAN 	729 Mbps 	862 Mbps
Total Simultaneous 	810 Mbps 	1269 Mbps
Maximum Simultaneous Connections 	34,925 	34,925
Firmware Version 	3.1.0.3.90 	1.0.1.2

thanks for the guys

hmm, could do without the guest network

does the 56u do vpn ok ?

With the latest new official firmware the 56u does VPN just fine.

Soldato
Just go for the RT-N56U unless you need insane wireless distances.

Is it just distance, or also strength?

I have 3 structural walls (that appear to be filled with lead) between my current router (D-link DIR-615 that came with VM) and the bedroom and I rarely get wireless signal in there.

I'm looking to set up a small home server too, will the N56 perform well for that, and does the N66 have any additional features / user settings that would be of benefit in this case?

Man of Honour
n66u has really good range and strength on wifi but I found that out the box I had to flash it to the latest merlin firmware to get the best stability (partly due to the number of people here refreshing server lists playing games online and/or torrents) with the merlin FW its been 2+ week stable without a reboot with the official FW even latest it was requiring regular reboots under that type of use.

However the n66u seems to have some problems with wifi even on the merlin FW thats dropped back to the 220 radio code - some clients will start to see slow degredation of stability over time with either increasingly slower speeds or increasing frequency of disconnections and afaik theres no current way to solve it (seems to depend on the chipset on the client side).

Soldato
I ordered a n66u to replace the n56u I have. Not because the n56u has disappointed me, but because I want extra bit of range. I tried extenders but they were useless and caused instability on many devices.

Hoping the aerials on the n66u will give me an even better range. I will keep the n56u to run another wlan next to the consoles so they are maxed out connection wise.

Anyone tried using even bigger aerials on their n66u? I'd love to push my WLAN out further outdoors :p

Soldato
I ordered a n66u to replace the n56u I have. Not because the n56u has disappointed me, but because I want extra bit of range. I tried extenders but they were useless and caused instability on many devices.

Hoping the aerials on the n66u will give me an even better range. I will keep the n56u to run another wlan next to the consoles so they are maxed out connection wise.

Anyone tried using even bigger aerials on their n66u? I'd love to push my WLAN out further outdoors :p

Please report back on this when you have it set up. I used an n56u to replace the superhub + Netgear Wifi Range Extender because I wasn't happy with the cut in bandwidth through the extender. The signal quality is ok throughout the whole house with the n56u but on the poor side at the extremes of the property.

All in though, the n56u with the superhub acting as a modem is miles better. It really is an excellent router.

Soldato
Installed last night, wireless range is definitely better versus the 56u. Where the 56U was near dropping, this is still 4 of 5 bars.

Keeping the 56U to run one of our printers and to have a strong 5g coverage in one of the rooms.

Happy with it

Soldato
I just upgraded from 56u to 66u (sold my 56u to a mate) and I cannot see any difference in wireless range/strength. It still drops in my toilet ><

Back
Top Bottom