What have you done to your car today?

Associate
Noooooooo. Why are you selling it? It's such an iconic car. I wish I had the money right now as this is on the list of cars I'd love to own, along with an original E30 M3.

Need something a bit more baby friendly, although usable (just) it's so much hassle, have to dismantle the buggy to fit it in and even then it won't all go in the boot and the buggy seat has to go in the rear seat/footwell, then getting his car seat in the back is not much fun all hunched over especially now he has moved up to the big car seat and not the little carry seat anymore. Any shopping then has to go in the front passenger footwell providing the missus isn't with us, if she is then... well it still goes in there but with less room.

It's just not practical now :(

I'd keep it if I could afford it and it's replacement but sadly one has to go to pay for the other.

Soldato
A lot of people fail for loud exhausts.

Some MOT testers are easier than others. Though this year it has tightened up a lot on modified cars. Especially loud exhausts.

Being a car enthusiast your self, i am sure you have read/heard of a lot of people swapping over there exhaust for their MOT tests? I see it all the time.

Fortuantly for me, stuff like this is only a Bacon butty away from a pass ;)

Soldato
Cats yes, backbox never heard of that before.
Can't say I have any gripes with a crackdown though, loud exhausts are pointless and irritating for the most part.

Associate
I always put the cat back in for MOT, which does reduce noise quite a bit - but it's still louder then standard, and I only get comments about how good it sounds from the testers :p

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
Essentially the car failed for its noise.
The tester said that it had to be within reasonable limits for the class of car.

It's retarded really as the garage offered to swap my n1 back after retesting. I declined as they wanted £30 per swap. :rolleyes:

My setup from reading is around 98-108db meaning it fails mot at the testers discretion.

Even though they were all really enthusiastic about my car.

Associate
Tried to see how fast it would go..

That's your lot Captain

Disco? Is that a hill descent fault light, have you got the three amigos?

Associate
Well yesterday i installed jdm electric folding mirrors and upgraded front speakers (accidently broke the standard 16yr old poo so just bought some ex display fli's in halfords for £10 in a rush)

Anyways simple job doing the mirrors, (pull the door trim off, feed some wire to centre consol, rewire jdm switch and done.

The hardest part was infact sticking the door trim back on. What an utter pain the the backside!!.

So anyways now have abit better audio and electric folding mirrors. Wooo

Also installed my gizzmo eletronic boost controller the other day, that was "fun"

Last edited:
Soldato
Disco? Is that a hill descent fault light, have you got the three amigos?

Yes it's the Disco and yes, since dunking it in that river last week I've had that fault pop up and the gear selection go a bit squiffy!! :rolleyes:
It has since gone back out and the gears are working again now it's had a little time to dry out. :o
Will be investigating various bit of loom and airblowing/water displacing various components that got dunked.
Bear in mind I stoped and reversed back out when the water got to bonnet level, so "quite a lot" got wet! :D
My carpets now hum with damp a bit. :o

What's the three amigo's ?
EDIT* (googled) Nope, not had the three amigos, just the HDC.

Last edited:
Soldato
How many fail for that then? Never heard of a single fail for an exhaust before. Heck I've put 3 cars through tests with loud pipes on myself and never has even a word been said about it. I wouldn't even consider swapping it out.

Just because you havent heard of any failing, doesnt mean they never fail. Plus, it's clearly in the manual and within the discretion of the tester. If I had a loud exhaust, I'd swap it over to save risking a fail

Back
Top Bottom