Cannot get stable!

Associate
Hello!

Ive been having trouble getting my system stable, even a stock speeds.
Heres my specs:

Q6600
p35 ds3r
ocz2g8002g 2gb x 2
500w earthwatts psu
gtx 460

Ive tried increasing q6600 voltage through to 1.6 bios 1.55 in cpuz and it stills fails prime at stock. This board has bad volt drop but im not sure if this is the problem, ive done a pencil mod and this improved the vd slightly but didnt make the system any more stable.

The ram is fine, all setting correct, memtest ok.

ive tried everything... Bad motherboard? bad cpu?

Any suggestions? If i leave the motherboard voltage settings to auto its usable (web browsing) but still fails prime almost instantly. (and auto voltage bumps the cpu to 1.54 idle :( )

Soldato
If you've done a few passes of (bootable) memtest and it's OK, then it's either the mobo or the CPU. You'll need to replace one or the other to narrow down the problem. Do you have another 775 chip, or another 775 mobo to test with?

Associate
OP
I dont have any access to spare chips or mbs :(. Its crashing on youtube vids let alone games lol.

The pencil mod just lowers the resistivity of a resistor on the mb, lowering volt drop. (normally allows for higher overclock on lower voltage)

Associate
OP
Im pretty sure the psu should cope after doing a little research. jus stress tested the 460 with furmark, with no issues. Now my system seems more stable? Can a burn in improve overall system stabilty? The auto volages are lower in speedfan now. And it seems to be running prime 95 ok..

WTF?????

Associate
OP
voltages_zps448e94ac.jpg

Whats going on with my 12v rail?

drops even lower when at idle.

Man of Honour
Good chance its the PSU (do you have both slots of the extra CPU power header on the motherboard populated or just 1?) also make sure you have the RAM settings correct and memtested.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Forgot the DS3R has only a 4 pin CPU power socket if thats populated thats fine. Some boards have 4+4 CPU power sockets and usually both need populating on those boards for quad cores.

Soldato
fire up cpu-z
and check your ram timings match what they say on the sticks and also check ram is getting correct voltage (do this bit in bios)
also iirc OCCT can check the +12v rail for consistent power

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The ram is 100% fine. running 5-5-5-18 and is getting the correct voltage. ran memtest for 24 hours with no errors.
Thankyou i will download OCCT and try to rule out the psu being the problem.

Back
Top Bottom