Windows 8 who's buying/upgrading

Soldato
Im stick in win 7 as it seem that win 8 wee same problems as vista for drivees like for printer,etc.. i still dont like win 8 as it too plain as i prefer win 7 that look nice shiny glass... i may wait for win 9 if microsoft change it mind in next 3 years.. like bring it back some features in w7..

Good god, please tell me you're not actually Scottish...

Soldato
Im stick in win 7 as it seem that win 8 wee same problems as vista for drivees like for printer,etc.. i still dont like win 8 as it too plain as i prefer win 7 that look nice shiny glass... i may wait for win 9 if microsoft change it mind in next 3 years.. like bring it back some features in w7..
poor reasons tbh

I haven't had a single driver issue. my Lexmark S600 works fine with the in built driver win8 has.

V F

V F

Soldato
It's likely that most of the current drivers for that motherboard would work on windows 8 (when I did the upgrade on my laptop only the graphics and network (LAN and WLAN) drivers were updated from those that were being used at the time), but you might be able to get windows 8 drivers for some of the components on that motherboard through the manufacturers of those components.

Everything went peachy. Felt like OS X in a way. Windows 8 had everything installed. Even a few extra updates on Windows update for Marvell and Edimax.

Just a shame there's no X-Fi control panel for the onboard sound.

I have to admit that the win 8 window theme is a bit more plain and crap than the win 7 aero theme. Win 8 is better though.

It grows on you. Then you take a look at Windows 7s task manager then look at Windows 8s and wonder how 7s looks a decade old.

Soldato

I can never understand people that buy hardware from companies that have poor driver support,remember driver support is responsibility of the manufacturer in question not OS,one reason I always go Canon for Printers,their driver support is always excellent,had drivers out within days for Vista,same for Win7 and even for Win8 for my printer,too bad other companies can't get their act together,when I buy hardware I make sure the company has good driver support.

As to Aero it does nothing useful apart from eye candy,do you buy an OS to look at or to use?..remember also its a battery drain as well so bad for tablet/laptops etc or any portable equipment,glad its gone.

As you guess no driver issues for me and yes I made sure my money over the years went to hardware companies that care about things like driver support.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can never understand people that buy hardware from companies that have poor driver support,remember driver support is responsibility of the manufacturer in question not OS,one reason I always go Canon for Printers,their driver support is always excellent,had drivers out within days for Vista,same for Win7 and even for Win8 for my printer,too bad other companies can't get their act together,when I buy hardware I make sure the company has good driver support.

Shame Canon's scanner support isn't as good then. They couldn't be arsed to do 64 bit drivers for their current (at the time) scanners for Vista/Win 7. If I ever bother buying another scanner, I very much doubt they'll be getting my business.

Associate
Shame Canon's scanner support isn't as good then. They couldn't be arsed to do 64 bit drivers for their current (at the time) scanners for Vista/Win 7. If I ever bother buying another scanner, I very much doubt they'll be getting my business.

I agree. Have always bought printer/scanners from Canon, but my next scanner will be from another company.

Soldato
Recently upgraded to this, and im impressed.

Just annoyed i cant get the metro interface to stick, maximized on my 2nd screen so i can view all my news/social feeds whilst Im messing around or in game on my primary monitor \:

As soon as i click on my primary monitor the metro interface disappears off my secondary monitor, hmpf.

Associate
Going to finally take the plunge and get the pro upgrade today.

Got an xp license i can upgrade from so going to keep windows 7 for a while until i have got used to windows 8 and dual boot as i have software with paid for licenses which i would need to buy again if i installed them in windows 8.

Associate
well ive been using the enterprise evaluation copy and got a email today to buy it for £24.99 the pro but when I go through it it says im in the wrong country,its Microsoft.uk and im in the uk how does that work then

One

One

Soldato
As to Aero it does nothing useful apart from eye candy,do you buy an OS to look at or to use?..remember also its a battery drain as well so bad for tablet/laptops etc or any portable equipment,glad its gone.

As you guess no driver issues for me and yes I made sure my money over the years went to hardware companies that care about things like driver support.

Using an OS and looking at an OS go hand in hand. If an OS looked so horrific you didn't like using it then it would impact your usage, likewise if an OS was a nightmare to use it wouldn't make a difference if it was the most beautiful thing ever seen.

Ok, so aero theme is bad for battery life? This has to be tosh seeing as the taskbar is see-through. I don't understand why windows can't just offer it on the side like they offer the ghastly high-contrast themes.

They call them themes because you're supposed to be able to change the theme. So offer a choice then.

Soldato
Soldato
Ok, so aero theme is bad for battery life? This has to be tosh seeing as the taskbar is see-through. I don't understand why windows can't just offer it on the side like they offer the ghastly high-contrast themes.

The high contrast themes are for accessibility and not aesthetics.

I know some people really like Aero, but it's pretty much the antithesis of Metro and that's why it's gone.

Soldato
Using an OS and looking at an OS go hand in hand. If an OS looked so horrific you didn't like using it then it would impact your usage, likewise if an OS was a nightmare to use it wouldn't make a difference if it was the most beautiful thing ever seen.

They call them themes because you're supposed to be able to change the theme. So offer a choice then.

My point was Aero is not really needed and more of a hinderance to certain types of hardware,you can still make Win8 look good if that is your desire without Aero,if you can't get Win8 looking good without Aero then you are doing something wrong,remember Aero was only available in Vista and Win7 so its not like its been around for ages or needed in every OS,users have been using Windows quite happily without it for decades.

Lets be honest Aero does not have a major impact on visual experience,you can still get Win8 looking good via themes/wallpapers and choosing the colours you need etc...,Aero is just like adding bit of spice to food(may or may not improve slightly),plus all major browsers have their own themes etc you can download,even in Metro you can change visual colours etc or add modded improvements from Stardock,end of the day Win8 is still very customizable without Aero , visual/look wise.

Arguing for Aero is like arguing for the old Windows Start button menu,bottom line its not needed.

I can understand you missing certain features,I still miss my favorite Microsoft OS ie DOS 6.22 visually ugly by Windows standards but so simple to use once you know DOS commands,however Microsoft have a habbit of changing and dropping certain features with every OS,one thing you get use to over time and have to adapt too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom