Windows 8 who's buying/upgrading

Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
Hi,

I bought the £24.99 upgrade and chose to download a .iso and burn to DVD.

Installed this to a formatted hard disk in my laptop but activation fails as the key is only valid for upgrading.

I had Win 7 Pro retail on the laptop.

What's the correct install procedure, why did the online installer give me the option for a .iso?

Cheers.

Soldato
The iso upgrades the disk which must have win7 on it.

Nope.

Tesla:

Edit the following Registry Key so that it is set to 0

Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OOBE]
"MediaBootInstall"=dword:00000000

Then in an elevated command prompt (Run as Administrator...) execute the following:

Code:
 slmgr -rearm

Reboot. Done.

Soldato
Just put Windows 8 onto my laptop, going from Windows 7. First impressions, in 5 bullets:

1) It's faster, both in terms of boot and generally handling.
2) It's very pleasing aesthically - I really like the clean UI on the windows, feels very clean indeed.
3) It's definitely smarter - driver support and detection continues to build on the positive steps that XP and 7 took.
4) The Start menu is a good attempt at unifying multiple platforms, but I can't see it being meaningful in a mouse and keyboard world other than for sticking your most used shortcuts on there in a nice big clickable format.
5) They've taken a retrograde step with some items, such as Power Off and Windows Update, in that it now takes a lot more clicks to access them than it did via the Start Menu. Sure, I could add tiles for them, but surely they're fundamentals that should persist?

Overall, positive impressions, but I do feel they've hidden a lot of good steps forward behind the controversy of the UI (which so far I'm split on, as per my comments above).

Associate
for those that need something to read,

h88p://blogs.msdn.com/b/microsoft_press/archive/2012/11/13/free-ebook-introducing-windows-8-an-overview-for-it-professionals-final-edition.aspx

FREE DOWNLOAD FORMATS:

PDF Introducing Windows 8- An Overview for IT Professionals - PDF ebook
Mobi Introducing Windows 8-An Overview for IT Professionals – Mobi format for Kindle
ePub Introducing Windows 8-An Overview for IT Professionals – ePub format

Is this book for you?

Get a headstart evaluating Window 8—guided by a Windows expert who’s worked extensively with the software since the preview releases. Based on final, release-to-manufacturing (RTM) software, this book introduces new features and capabilities, with scenario-based insights demonstrating how to plan for, implement, and maintain Windows 8 in an enterprise environment. Get the high-level information you need to begin preparing your deployment now.

Topics include:

• Performance, reliability, and security features

• Deployment options

• Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit

• Windows PowerShell™ 3.0 and Group Policy

• Managing and sideloading apps

• Internet Explorer® 10

• Virtualization, Client Hyper-V, and Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack

• Recovery features

and price is =£free

and legal also to share

Soldato
5) They've taken a retrograde step with some items, such as Power Off and Windows Update, in that it now takes a lot more clicks to access them than it did via the Start Menu. Sure, I could add tiles for them, but surely they're fundamentals that should persist?
u could press ALT + F4 from the desktop to shutdown/restart/log off ect

has for Windows Update once it's set to automatic there's really no need to open Windows Update has it does it by itself... which I think that's what MS thinks most users will set it too

Associate
I upgraded from Windows 7 today and I have been using Windows 8 Pro for the last 4-5 hours
and I must say I'm more impressed than I thought I would be with it.

I am actually liking the MetroUI it works well, the desktop is just the desktop nothing much
more can be said about that.

I did have a problem with my Graphics drivers though but figured out Windows was downloading a graphics driver for my 680 and I was at the same time installing the another
driver version which was the latest version and there was a binary conflict and it caused
the OS to have a black screen, just booted into safe mode uninstalled the drivers booted
back up installed restarted and all was good in the world.

Associate
I am finally running Windows 8 Pro and I must say it is much better than I thought it would be by reading some of the negative comments in this thread.

Once on desktop it's fairly much like using Windows 7 just without a clock in the top corner and a couple of other gadgets that I used to have.

I upgraded from Windows XP Home 32bit and originally had the 32bit version of Windows 8 so I loaded into Windows 7 64bit and from the email link chose to download the install files and create a usb boot disc.

Doing this gave me the 64bit version of Windows 8 to do a fresh install to my ssd.

For £24.99 I am very happy and I can now sell my Windows 7 Premium retail for double that amount.

Thumbs up.

Associate
read

so no he can't

You need to re-read my post.

I upgraded from Windows XP Home 32bit which installed the 32bit version of Windows 8.

I then loaded into Windows 7 64bit which is now on another hd to check my email and in there is a download link. Because my Windows 7 is 64bit this downloads the 64bit install version of Windows 8.

Once I had this saved to a usb stick I then installed from that to my ssd with the serial number contained within the email.

So I still have my Windows 7 retail license as that wasn't what I upgraded from.

Do you want me to draw you a picture? :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I am finally running Windows 8 Pro and I must say it is much better than I thought it would be by reading some of the negative comments in this thread.

It's good that people are actually taking the punt and upgrading. The amount of sheer vitriol and FUD nonsense that's been posted about Windows 8 over the last year was enough to put anyone off, and it was developing a Vista-like reputation even before it launched.

It was really smart to price it so cheaply.

Associate
It's good that people are actually taking the punt and upgrading. The amount of sheer vitriol and FUD nonsense that's been posted about Windows 8 over the last year was enough to put anyone off, and it was developing a Vista-like reputation even before it launched.

It was really smart to price it so cheaply.

Yep £24.99 for a new operating system that will be used for 2-3 years is quite a bargain when you think about it.

Associate
You need to re-read my post.

I upgraded from Windows XP Home 32bit which installed the 32bit version of Windows 8.

I then loaded into Windows 7 64bit which is now on another hd to check my email and in there is a download link. Because my Windows 7 is 64bit this downloads the 64bit install version of Windows 8.

Once I had this saved to a usb stick I then installed from that to my ssd with the serial number contained within the email.

So I still have my Windows 7 retail license as that wasn't what I upgraded from.

Do you want me to draw you a picture? :D

You have to remove your Windows 7 install though if you want to sell it

Back
Top Bottom