***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

Associate
With all the UI patent battles going on I doubt they can change anything drastically, especially since Microsofts nabbed the Live Tile idea. After a month of owning 920, using anything icon based feels like I'm on some old Amstrad. I've got Jelly Bean on my new tablet, hate it. Girlfriends iPad feels like something my gran would use. :/

Caporegime
With all the UI patent battles going on I doubt they can change anything drastically, especially since Microsofts nabbed the Live Tile idea. After a month of owning 920, using anything icon based feels like I'm on some old Amstrad. I've got Jelly Bean on my new tablet, hate it. Girlfriends iPad feels like something my gran would use. :/

It does look incredibly dated now, then again its been exactly rthe same design for the past 5 years with no real enhacements. Will be interesting to see when they finally get around to overhauling it, seems the main priority at the minute is to make the phone so thin and light it can slide into hipsters jeans without leaving an outline. :rolleyes:

Its funny though how many reviews are going on about the weight of the 920, most of these reviews are from the same people that said iphone 5 was a bit light and lacked a premium feel because of it, now they go on about the lumia being too heavy as if theres some perfect middle ground that will suit absoloutely everyone. :confused: Not had the chance to feel the weight of one yet but im doubting it will put me off it. :)

Soldato
greetings from Barcelona :p
word of warning, there are issues with maps and the Belgian firmware - 3 days in and Ive had a working phone for 10% of the time. The main symptom seems to be a completely unresponsive screen. I still get mail, txts and toast notifications come through, people can ring me, but I cant swipe to answer or do anything, I cant access anything that needs a touchscreen action. Camera works, but only with hardware buttons, cant change any settings.
Soft reset doesn't work, the phone will randomly start working at a random time, it failed this morning and has only just started working now. The issue is maps related as that seems to cause the crash everytime I start to use it, cannot wait to get home and reflash to a UKw version as I consider this to be very unstable:(

Last edited:
Caporegime
Spoiler: It's different emoticon when a message doesn't get sent successfully:)

sadface.jpg

Happened today :D

Associate
greetings from Barcelona :p
word of warning, there are issues with maps and the Belgian firmware - 3 days in and Ive had a working phone for 10% of the time. The main symptom seems to be a completely unresponsive screen. I still get mail, txts and toast notifications come through, people can ring me, but I cant swipe to answer or do anything, I cant access anything that needs a touchscreen action. Camera works, but only with hardware buttons, cant change any settings.
Soft reset doesn't work, the phone will randomly start working at a random time, it failed this morning and has only just started working now. The issue is maps related as that seems to cause the crash everytime I start to use it, cannot wait to get home and reflash to a UKw version as I consider this to be very unstable:(

Ouch, that sucks :/

Associate
Look at the time, why am I up? My tiles stopped being live a week ago so tonight I decided to go for a hard reset... and my phone bricked! Trying to resurrect it now :(

Caporegime
Where's the cheapest place to buy a handset? On pay and go on O2 so will need to unlock the phone anyway. Seen a few people say you can buy the handset at ee stores for around £340, nothing on their site about it.

Associate
Hi all,

Im almost back in the fold.
Im able to get a yellow 920 or a black one?

Could someone please let me know if the yellow is better? Is it too garish/cartoonish looking?

Any opinions welcome

Thanks

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
Hi all,

Im almost back in the fold.
Im able to get a yellow 920 or a black one?

Could someone please let me know if the yellow is better? Is it too garish/cartoonish looking?

Any opinions welcome

Thanks

Yellow is my preferred colour, I have a white one at the moment until unlocked Yellow handsets are available and then i will switch.

Associate
Who the hell is Lycamobile?

Its a company which has sim cards at low rates mainly for International calls. And Coming back to my problem. Has any1 tried using different service providers in 920s bought from Clove? I cannot use my Lycamobile sim card in it. But t-mobile is working fine. Any1??
:confused:

Soldato
Its a company which has sim cards at low rates mainly for International calls. And Coming back to my problem. Has any1 tried using different service providers in 920s bought from Clove? I cannot use my Lycamobile sim card in it. But t-mobile is working fine. Any1??
:confused:

Is the SIM even recognised by the device? If so you will have to enter the access points manually into the device. You should be able to get them from the operators website at a guess.

Enter them under settings -> access point -> then press the add button

Associate
So I have had my Lumia about a week now. I got it when EE store had the 20% off pay as you go phones, so really happy with the deal I got.

I sent away for an unlock code from http://www.fonefunshop.co.uk/ a few days ago so still waiting for the code to come through.

In general I love the new experience. Makes a great change coming from iOS, especially the live tiles and general look and feel.

However, here are some of my initial quams:

Battery life:

Jeez, I just can't get over this one. Last night I charged it to full. Went to bed at 11:30pm, woke up at 8:30am at the battery was on 5%! So with no use at all it pretty much drained the battery in 9 hours. I find this really alarming and can't find a solution yet. I have read that sometimes it takes a number of cycles for the battery to "bed in" but I never had this issue with the iPhone. For info, last night I have WiFi off, the phone had no reception, I have all background applications blocked apart from the battery monitor application that I downloaded. Anyone got any ideas?

Emails:

I can't seem to setup my business IMAP emails to "as items arrive". The main hotmail account has this option but every other email account setup does not have this option. Any ideas?

Another thing I would like to do with emails is adjust the font size. Having a massive screen is great but I don't think I can see any more emails on the screen than I can with the iphone.

Internet - would be great if more sites were made to work with Windows Phone. Google is not as nice as it is on the iPhone and things like tv catchup don't work at all. I hope Google start to develop apps for Windows Phone soon - especially Chrome.

Apps - Largely got what I need but the quality and diversity of the apps is definietely not as good as with iOS, especially the games. In general it looks like the selection of games available is the same as what I was downloading on the iphone 3 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom