Building a HTPC setup

Soldato
Hey folks,

I've been thinking about doing this for ages now and well with it being xmas, it's time to think about a new project for 2013.

My only dilemma is do I start from scratch or use existing parts and build from there.

I still have my old computer system around which consisted of a Q6600, 4Gb DDR2 and a Gigabyte GA-P35-DSR motherboard. Would it be worth using those components with an ATX HTPC case and go from there or would I be better off starting from scratch with a basic AMD/Intel setup.

The system would need to be able to not only stream 1080p video, handle DTS-HD but also live TV with either a USB dongle or PCI-E card.

Soldato
You could use the above components, you'd just need to add a cheap video card such as a HD 6450, which will handle the HD video nicely. The TV tuner is your choice, although I'd highly recommend looking at the BlackGold products.

If you can afford it, it would be better building a dedicated machine, it will run much cooler and be more energy efficient, also meaning it should run quieter. This also gived you the option to build an ITX system to keep it small and neat :)

Soldato
OP
M-ATX would mean buying a new motherboard as my current wouldn't fit, in that case may as well start from scratch.

Any recommendations for a basic build.

Must handle 1080p, and ideally have either hdmi, coax or optical output for audio although this isn't 100% vital as I plan on getting an AV unit at some point in the future as well to replace my current aging z5500 system :)

Soldato
Get this lot, job done.

YOUR BASKET
1 x Silverstone LaScala LC17 Rackmount HTPC Case - Silver (SST-LC17S) £94.99
1 x Pioneer BDC-207DBK 8x BluRay ROM / DVDRW SATA-II Optical Drive - Black (OEM) £54.98
1 x Seasonic G series 360w '80 Plus Gold' Power Supply £48.98
1 x Noctua NH-U9B SE2 CPU Cooler (Socket 775 / 1155 / 1156 / 1366 / 2011 / AM2 / AM2+ / AM3 / FM1 / FM2) £40.00
1 x Asus HD 6450 SILENT EDITION 1024MB GDDR3 Low Profile PCI-Express Graphics Card £31.99
1 x Arctic F9 PWM Case Fan - 92mm £3.49
2 x Arctic F8 PWM Case Fan - 80mm £2.99 (£5.98)
Total : £294.52 (includes shipping : £11.75).

If you have the PSU already, use that instead.
I've specced the blu ray in if you want one.
TV card, I have a blackgold as mentioned earlier but support for Windows 8 is non existent (as in it sort of works) TBS TV card are supposed to be better supported.
I've specced the case fans as the stock case fans are very noisy.
The cooler is the one I use (I have 2 of these cases) ;)

Soldato
OP
Been looking at that case myself although would have to be black to go with the rest of the gadgets in my tv cabinet.

Had a look at the blackgold card seems pricey in comparison to other DVB-T2 tuners on the market. What's so special about it when compared to the PCTV Nanostick which is half the price other than the fact its a single tuner and not a dual.

Last edited:
Soldato
M-ATX would mean buying a new motherboard as my current wouldn't fit, in that case may as well start from scratch.

I only recommended them M-ATX cases because the ATX HTPC cases don't fit on most AV stands/racks

Where the ones I recommended are same size & shape as most AV Amps..;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom